complete demo of walls and ceiligs on a two story house 6500sq.ft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

webuss

for all new re- wire, includes new 200 amp service and riser, is $3.00 per. sq. ft. close to normal bid. place is like 50 years old and a mess thats why gutting.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
for all new re- wire, includes new 200 amp service and riser, is $3.00 per. sq. ft. close to normal bid. place is like 50 years old and a mess thats why gutting.

Way cheap for my area. It also depends on what's included. Most 6500 sq. ft house don't have a minimum so.........I just don't see how one can bid it by the square foot.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
It would seem with only a 200A service that there is not all that much there, and assuming someone else is doing the gutting, it would not appear to be a whole lot different than new construction.

can you even air condition a 6500SF house with only a 200A service?

ceknight

Are you doing the demolition also?

The demolition alone should book out at around $4.10/sf. And that's the unskilled part of the job. ;)

stevenje

As has been discussed a million times before on this forum, you have to know what your cost of doing business is, BEFORE you can start bidding projects and expect to make a profit. Look back through the archives. There are plenty of great posts about this topic.

The $ per square foot may work for the bare minimum required electrical system. I use a per opening bidding system.

Do the homeowners want just the bare minimum NEC required electrical system? You can look at the blueprints to see if this is correct. If not, then a per opening bid would probably be the best way to bid this project.

As far as the service size is concerned you have to compile all of the information from the blueprint and do a NEC load calculation to find out what size service will be required. It is easy to do. Just follow the examples in the back of the NEC. Good luck with your project.

ceb58

It would seem with only a 200A service that there is not all that much there, and assuming someone else is doing the gutting, it would not appear to be a whole lot different than new construction.

can you even air condition a 6500SF house with only a 200A service?

My question also. From my experience you go much over 3500 sq ft with all the bells and whistles you are looking at a 400amp service.

rt66electric

contractor "b" will do it $100 less

contractor "b" will do it $100 less

If contractor "A" bids the job at $1000.
then The homeowner can always find some one else for $100 less.
The bid is now $900.
The homeowner can now find someone else for $100 less.
The bid is now $800.

After going thru 10 contractors he can get the job for FREE

1) 400amp service is more likely depending on whether appliances use gas or electrical, and if the heating is gas or electrical.

2) Square foot bidding usually favors the buyer.

3) Wait until they have prepared design drawings for pricing the project.

4) Better idea would be "cost plus 20%OHP" on total, bottom line cost for all items related to the electrical installation. That would include items purchased by the owner, GC, etc. such as fixtures, generator, and such. The owners and GC's try to short the EC on cost plus type projects.

5) Good luck.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I think bidding by the SqFt is the lazy mans way. Bid it per outlet, and like others have said, at whatever your cost is. We used to get $25 an opening (a 2 gang is 2 openings) for NMC and that was in the 80's, but I've heard recently that the tract guys are only getting about $9. Of course you need to figure in the service and can lights are more as are A/C, electric dryer runs, electric ovens, ETC.

CopperTone

I think bidding by the SqFt is the lazy mans way. Bid it per outlet, and like others have said, at whatever your cost is. We used to get $25 an opening (a 2 gang is 2 openings) for NMC and that was in the 80's, but I've heard recently that the tract guys are only getting about $9. Of course you need to figure in the service and can lights are more as are A/C, electric dryer runs, electric ovens, ETC.

I charge $50 per opening. $9 per opening? ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. are they stealing the material and using slaves for labor?

see, here in the northeast we like to eat, have a house to live in that is our own, like to have health insurance, like to fund our retirement funds, like to go on the occasional vacation or two, enjoy heat in the winter and AC in the summer, oh and like to have a couple of dollars in our pockets at all times just in case something comes up.

3way switches are more
light fixtures are more
4way switches are more
recessed lights are way more
cable tv
phones
heat ac
sump pumps
water heaters
swimming pools
jacuzzi tubs
new electrical service with arc fault breakers

they all have a number assigned to them - then just add them up.

I can't do very much for $9.

we also carry liability insurance . workers comp insurance, are licensed, and do backround checks on all employees.

Last edited:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I charge $50 per opening. $9 per opening? ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. are they stealing the material and using slaves for labor?

see, here in the northeast we like to eat, have a house to live in that is our own, like to have health insurance, like to fund our retirement funds, like to go on the occasional vacation or two, enjoy heat in the winter and AC in the summer, oh and like to have a couple of dollars in our pockets at all times just in case something comes up.

3way switches are more
light fixtures are more
4way switches are more
recessed lights are way more
cable tv
phones
heat ac
sump pumps
water heaters
swimming pools
jacuzzi tubs
new electrical service with arc fault breakers

they all have a number assigned to them - then just add them up.

I can't do very much for $9.

we also carry liability insurance . workers comp insurance, are licensed, and do backround checks on all employees.

Just what I heard, I couldn't see how they could do it at that cost either, unless they misunderstood my question and that's what the piece work guys were making.

Status
Not open for further replies.