3000 amp service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starbuc

Starbuc
Occupation
Master Electrician
I am working with a GC that is building a new shopping center, the plan is to build about 50,000 square feet to be split between various tenants. So far they have one tenant (a grocery store) that will use about 17,000/sq-ft & will require a 1200/amp, 208/120volt, 3/phase service. Based on other projects we have done I was figuring on a 3000/amp main service. The project is still in the design stage so i was thinking of splitting the service up to enter the building at 2 or 3 locations. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Well then what is it Lyn? Not a convenient, not a big box yet if you have bid a few, it must be a chain.

stevenje

I don't want to give away the job.

So you are the only EC that the GC has bidding this project? If it is a new shopping center/grocery store I think the cat is already out of the bag.

Back to your question. I have worked on a few of these projects and the EC rarely has any input on the location and design of the project. This is why they hire an engineering firm. Are you on the engineering design team?

All that being said, it sounds like a good project to be working on.

cdslotz

It's not uncommon for retail to be 120/208.
But from a design standpoint, 3000A @ 120/208 for a 50,000 sq/ft space is roughly 22 watts/ft, which is about right. So if you did use a 277/480V setup, you could probably design a 1600A to achieve 22-24 watts/ft.
To split up service entrance to 2-3 locations might not be the way to go because the owner will have to pay the POCO a lot more for their construction costs for multiple services.
You could set up a single 3000A service with a 3000A bussed tap box. Then you could tap the 1200A right next to the tap box (set a 1200A switch), also put in a house panel for site lighting, etc, then all of the future tenants can tap their services as they lease out.
In my neck of the woods, the POCO gives us the 3000A bussed tap boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.