Installing Panasonic Fan from below

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfav8r

Have you ever installed a Panasonic vent fan from below without having to patch the sheet rock? I don't see how you would connect the duct unless you can get into the attic. If you connect the duct then try to wiggle the housing in, I think you need to open more sheet rock than the grill will cover. Anyone actually done one without having to patch? The duct and wiring are already there from the previous fan.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
From what i remember the panasonic will allow you to hook the duct to a seperate bracket then afix that to the ceiling. Then you can put in the fan housing. I have done this before. I can remember if I had to do something special to screw it all together.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I believe Sierra is correct. I have not done it but the bracket for the vent is a separate animal. I am sure it is not easy.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
From what I recall it is labor intensive. A very good work out for the wrist. carpul tunnel be ware.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
From what I remember it's a real PITA. Most of any of the manufacturer's exhaust fans are not designed for retro-fit. Alao, if you're working close to an outside wall you'll probably have a roof rafter to deal with. Anyway, as others have mentioned, you'll have to disconnect the hose attachment, cut your hole, slide the unit up into the attic any way you can, then work on the wiring and hose attachment while it's in the attic. After you're done you'll have to re-position the unit and drop it down into place. In addition, I've always had to install pieces of 2" x 4" studs on the sides to have something to screw the unit to.

Good luck. I feel for you, especially in this heat. If you find a better way please post it.

GlennH

I put lotsa panasonic fans in and they really are one of the nicest fans to put in from underneath.

If at all possible cut your hole against a joist on one side and then I cut a piece of lathe about 12in. and screw this right next to the hole on the opposite side of the joist.

The vent and electrical connection point detaches from the fan body allowing you to connect them and then you can install this in the hole, if your lucky the bracket on this will be against the joist so you can fasten this securely.

If not, put a 2 by 4 in to hold it in place

Slide the fan in and fasten with 2 screws in the joist and 2 screws in the piece of lathe and your done.

Note: this won't work with the large Fan/heat units, you will need access from above or cut a hole in ceiling to reach in and fasten the duct connector to the fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.