ATS on top of an ATS

Status
Not open for further replies.

rowelelectrical

Inactive, Email Never Verified
this ATS's doesnt have switch handles. instead, they have push bottons.. if the height of the push button will be less than 6'7" ,will it be acceptable?

dkidd

Occupation
PE
They usually have a manual handle.

Seriously, I would never allow that. I always have believed that dedicated equipment space should not contain anything not directly associated with the equipment, rather than that anything that is electrical can go there.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
The problem with using the dedicated space and working space requirments are that its not a switchboard, panelboard, or MCC. However, I think the 1st sentence of 110.26 would make this a violation (although that sentence is wide open to interpertation.)

I would also call it a violation based on 404.8 - switches have to be readily accessible.

I also doubt the enclosure was meant for wall mounting - it was probably intended to have a floor under it. I would expect the frame to eventually bend, and cause all kinds of havoc.

Finally, I would also have no problem calling it a violation under 110.3.

Did I mention I would call it a violation? IMO, ATS's need to be readily accessible, both for the on site maintenance people, and the ATS service people.

Last edited:

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Setting aside the possible code violation(s), what about common sense, pride in work/design and just good practice? I'd be embarrassed to do that install.

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
Setting aside the possible code violation(s), what about common sense, pride in work/design and just good practice? I'd be embarrassed to do that install.

It's already in a corner of a room that appears to be full of something that might be more interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.