best way to tap into a 4" EMT wall mounted continuous run

Status
Not open for further replies.

taotaomonapc

i need to install some surveillance cameras at our location. At this site there is only (1) empty run that is meant for future use by phone contractor. it is a mounted 4" emt that has no pullboxes . About midway through the length is where i want to get entry.

i imagine disconnecting one segment, cutting it for the box and remounting is the way to go for code compliance but could i get away with drilling a 3/4" or 1" hole and filing it down? in the future if the emt did get provisioned for fiber i could have the contractor pull in innerduct through it

regards and thanks
pete from guam

nhfire77

i need to install some surveillance cameras at our location. At this site there is only (1) empty run that is meant for future use by phone contractor. it is a mounted 4" emt that has no pullboxes . About midway through the length is where i want to get entry.

i imagine disconnecting one segment, cutting it for the box and remounting is the way to go for code compliance but could i get away with drilling a 3/4" or 1" hole and filing it down? in the future if the emt did get provisioned for fiber i could have the contractor pull in innerduct through it

regards and thanks
pete from guam

Yes, either cut the pipe and install a pull box, or disconnect it at a coupling and cut there.

Drilling into the pipe=hack

A similar thread involving holes drilled into a LB is discussed here: http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php/138296-Drilling-of-LBs

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
It seems to me there is a fitting made just for this purpose. You drill a hole in the side of the EMT and the fitting clamps over it. Or maybe I imagined that.

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
It seems to me there is a fitting made just for this purpose. You drill a hole in the side of the EMT and the fitting clamps over it. Or maybe I imagined that.
In fluid carrying pipes, we have the "weld-o-let" product line. The galvanizing would give me serious difficulty even with RMC, but I use them at 6000 psi in hydraulic systems with pipe. They are great to put pressure transducers or bleed ports in piping runs. I don't have a link, but Google probably will.

Status
Not open for further replies.