art.680 pump motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommyrice

today i saw a pump indicating it was for use on pools,hot tubs,spas.it had a UL recognized component mark and a capital C with a small sa inside.i remember that as being the mark of another testing agency.this pump was shipped to the pool store with a 6' 16-3 cord.it also had an external bonding lug.my thinking is it would violate 680.7 for permanent pools and presence of bonding lug would indicate it's not for storable pools.the only use i can imagine would be in the category of 680.42 A(2) for cords not longer than 15' in spas and hot tubs.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Code cycles would make some difference also...
Under '08 if it were a storable pool pump it would have to have a GFCI as part of the attachment plug,
UL (2010) also states that pumps used for storable pools "shall be marked do not use with permanently installed pools" likewise, pumps for permanent pools shall be marked "not for storable pools" (see UL WCSX)..
The lug means little as many manufacturers add the lug for a pumps rather than try to differentiate.
It appears you have a pump manufactured before UL and NEC changes or one for a hydrotub or spa as you summized.

Status
Not open for further replies.