Plug in water heater

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonype

It all goes back to 110.3 (B). Is the cord and/or HWH listed for that use? If the HWH mfg. makes and sells a listed cord for the unit it would be OK.

I found the following on the manufacturers site. I do not interpret that a cord and plug is acceptable. Am I correct?? Would there be some specific comment on cord and plug if it was listed for that purpose? These were the only comments I found on electrical in the manual (the unit is 10 years old).

"Electrical Connections - A separate branch circuit with copper conductors, overcurrent protective device and suitable disconnecting means must be provided by a qualified electrician. All wiring must conform to local codes or latest edition of National Electrical Code ANSI/NFPA 70. The water heater is completely wired to the junction box inside jacket at the top front of the water heater. An opening for 1/2″ or 3/4″ electrical fitting is provided for field wiring connections.

The voltage requirements and wattage load for the water heater are specified on the rating plate on the front of the
water heater. The branch circuit wiring should include either:

1. Metallic conduit or metallic sheathed cable approved for use as a grounding conductor and installed with fittings approved for the purpose.
2. Non-metallic sheathed cable, metallic conduit or metallic sheathed cable not approved for use as a ground conductor shall include a separate conductor for grounding. It should be attached to the ground terminals of the water heater and the electrical distribution box."

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Assume for the moment that cord and plug is OK-What type of recep is that?. It looks suspiciously like a dryer cord set which would be 3 pole, 3 wire (NEMA 10-30) which is a whole 'nother violation. IMO that should be a NEMA 6-30, 2 pole, 3 wire.

tonype

Assume for the moment that cord and plug is OK-What type of recep is that?. It looks suspiciously like a dryer cord set which would be 3 pole, 3 wire (NEMA 10-30) which is a whole 'nother violation. IMO that should be a NEMA 6-30, 2 pole, 3 wire.

I did not unplug the heater, though I also thought it was one for a dryer.

renosteinke

I believe that UL has issued a statement that they only list small - as in 5 gallons or less- water heaters for use with a cord & plug. So, as attractive as a cord and plug might be as a disconnecting means, the use of the option is rather limited.

I must also point out that the UL statement seemed to assume an electric heating element. For a gas-fired heater, that uses a cord & plug solely for control / igniter power, I believe the use of a cord and plug is allowed.

UL's opinion aside, I have yet to see a 'field' supplied cord & plug properly used with a water heater. When I find such, invariably the wire gauge is way too small, there are issues with the cable suport, the strain relief is inadequate, and the wrong plug is used.

Status
Not open for further replies.