Tapping Bus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nietz001

I just came accross an old E-Frame panel. Someone has drilled and tapped the bus and added a sub-panel since they were out of breaker space. I told the owner I needed to replace the panel since it was never rated to be a feed through panel. He is reluctant but I don't think this would pass inspection if I don't change out the panel. Any advice?

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
What do you need to do with it? Are they having problems with the tap? No, it would most likely not pass an inspection, but you can only suggest that it be changed out. Do the work you need to do and get your work inspected. Make sure the AHJ knows you did not do the tap, make a note on your billing and go home to sleep.

Can you use one of the old CBs to feed a new panel? Or buy a larger CB, remove the tap and put the loads in the new panel?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I just came accross an old E-Frame panel. Someone has drilled and tapped the bus and added a sub-panel since they were out of breaker space. I told the owner I needed to replace the panel since it was never rated to be a feed through panel. He is reluctant but I don't think this would pass inspection if I don't change out the panel. Any advice?

You only need to do what they pay you to do. Fixing stuff like this is not your problem unless someone pays you to do it.

An inspector may or may not want it fixed. In any case, it is not your problem unless someone makes it your problem by agreeing to pay you to do something about it.

Can you use one of the old CBs to feed a new panel? Or buy a larger CB, remove the tap and put the loads in the new panel?
How does removing the tap deal with the drilling that was done. Once he touches it, it is his problem.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.