Electricians on Solar Installs

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

Electricians on Solar Installs

• Licensed electrical personnel must be present at the installation of the racks

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Licensed electrical personnel must be present once the panles are bring set

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Licensed electrical personnel must be prsent once the wiring of the cells begins

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Lisensed electrical personnel must be present to wire inverters, etc

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Licensed electrical personnel must connect the inverters to the building or grid

• Solar installations do not require licensed electricans

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
In an earlier thread pdmtn questioned at what point licenses electricans became involved in sloar installs in you area.
The thread did not provide much statistical data so I am trying a poll....

On a solar installation, at what point do the laws/rules in your area require that licensed electrical personnel be present ?

Last edited:

c_picard

Don't have the code handy(other laptop was stolen)...but aren't "qualified persons" required for all components?

I'm in MA, need a license, period, and I agree.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I have done one job that was grid tied solar. I did the service and wired the building and provided a breaker for the solar guy to tie the inverter to.

He did every thing that was associated with the solar gear.

I have no idea what kind of license he is required to have, but all the work was done to code and inspected.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Don't have the code handy(other laptop was stolen)...but aren't "qualified persons" required for all components?

I'm in MA, need a license, period, and I agree.

Yes in mass solar is Electrical work and the board of Electricians have ruled on that.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I made my opinions pretty clear in the other thread...including the fact that I think the point where an electrician is required is the point where the wiring leaves the array and enters a raceway, which is not a distinction made in the poll. Also think that the contractor is required to be a licensed electrical contractor even if the individuals doing the work aren't all certified electricians.

Last edited:

dkidd

Occupation
PE
Solar installations require not licensed electricans

Solar installations require not licensed electricans

Should this option be "Solar installations do not require licensed electricans"

I thought it was a Yoda impression.

quogueelectric

Solar system inslall

Solar system inslall

I am currently on a very large solar farm install with a 35 megawatt output give or take a few megawatts. The pv arrays are 24 panels 6 across by 4 high. 240 acres and about 170,000 panels total. The dockbuilders set the pilings the ironworkers put up the frames for the arrays and the electricians mount the clips and the panels to the framework in this instance. Search BP long Island solar farm for more details. As it is a DOE site at Brookhaven National Laboratories pictures are prohibited but the media has many pictures available it is quite a nice project.

Status
Not open for further replies.