Need a little help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Service call yesterday for power out in a residence. Came across a Trumbell Elec. Mfg. panel (70 amp, 8 breaker) with a bad 50 amp breaker feeding a newer sub-panel. The client (landlord) says he does not have the money to gut this thing and go new, so I'm stuck trying to find a breaker for this thing. Rag wire (1945ish original panel) to a Trumbell panel Cat. No. 5022F. I could not pull any numbers off the breaker; this thing was such a mess, I did not want to start pulling things apart @ 6:00pm on a Sat. night. Does anyone know who might carry ANY Trumbell parts in the LA or Ventura County area. Any help would be appreciated.

stevenje

Service call yesterday for power out in a residence. Came across a Trumbell Elec. Mfg. panel (70 amp, 8 breaker) with a bad 50 amp breaker feeding a newer sub-panel. The client (landlord) says he does not have the money to gut this thing and go new, so I'm stuck trying to find a breaker for this thing. Rag wire (1945ish original panel) to a Trumbell panel Cat. No. 5022F. I could not pull any numbers off the breaker; this thing was such a mess, I did not want to start pulling things apart @ 6:00pm on a Sat. night. Does anyone know who might carry ANY Trumbell parts in the LA or Ventura County area. Any help would be appreciated.

I do believe the name of the breaker manufacture is Trumbull not Trumbell.
If you can't find one locally you might give Midwest Electric Co. a call at 800.803.9256 and see what they have in stock and get it shipped out next day air.
On another note, it would seem more cost effective to put the time and effort into an upgrade. At some point in the future some one will be revisiting this problem again. After 65 years of service, it's time to retire the old panel.

satcom

Let me see if I got this right, the landlord, is the owner of the property, which is an asset, but he claims he has no money to do proper repairs, did you tell him you know a novel way to get the work done, he goes to the bank and secures a home improvement loan.

You may be new to this business, it is common for landlords to plead poverty, and expect you to jump hoops to repair their property.

Nope

Nope

Nope, far from new to the business; the clients wife warned me about her husband before doing previous work. Her description of him was to ask me if I had heard how copper wire was invented; I replied no. She told me it was invented by two dutchmen fighting over a penny. In others words, she warned me that he was EXTREMELY frugal (according to her this is a "Dutch" trait) and did things at his own pace.
The ONE thing I have learned is that ALL I can do is warn the client of the hazards of postponing work like this and hope they heed my advice.
And yes, Trumbull is correct...typo!!

kwired

Electron manager
If you do find a replacement how much will it cost Vs replacing it with something new? Especially after next day air freight as was suggested? You could likely have the new one installed before the replacement for the old one even shows up also.

renosteinke

Try this approach: look the job over, then tell him what it will cost to fix it. Do not discuss the job any further: it will cost $x to fix, and take Y hours. That's it. If he pushes, push back: I'm telling you what it will cost to have me do the work, and the details are my problem. You're paying me for my professional judgement, design ability, and to take on the risks, honor my warrantee. This is my price. Period. My price, my work, and I care not what someone else offers.

If he agrees, do what you want, and fix it right. If he tries to step in and micro-manage after agreeing, it's time to pack up and leave.

If he quarrels, well, it's been nice, I wish you well. with that somebody else you mentioned.

John120/240

Why even consider a replacement breaker ? That panel has served for 66 years

& seen its useful life. Sell them a new GE, SQ D, C H, Seiemens & you are good

for another 66 years

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I would make a reasonable effort to find the part, but not go to the ends of the world either. He won't be paying you for your research and phone time. Plus, if the panel itself gives out soon, he will be angry that you didn't talk him into replacing it.

I have often found landlords & real estate agents to be the cheapest thinkers around. Get it working & looking good for the moment is all they want. Sometimes good thinking but they take it too far.

kwired

Electron manager
I would make a reasonable effort to find the part, but not go to the ends of the world either. He won't be paying you for your research and phone time. Plus, if the panel itself gives out soon, he will be angry that you didn't talk him into replacing it.

I have often found landlords & real estate agents to be the cheapest thinkers around. Get it working & looking good for the moment is all they want. Sometimes good thinking but they take it too far.

That is why you need to tell them how much the replacement part will cost vs new equipment, and make sure new equipment cost is less or at least close enough to make sense to go that route.

I think I have a good idea what the breaker in question looks like. I would not even attempt to try to find an exact replacement for it, if I was lucky enough to find one it likely will cost as much or more than an alternate panel plus I will be able to have the alternate installed before the replacement ever arrives.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
That is why you need to tell them how much the replacement part will cost vs new equipment, and make sure new equipment cost is less or at least close enough to make sense to go that route.

I think I have a good idea what the breaker in question looks like. I would not even attempt to try to find an exact replacement for it, if I was lucky enough to find one it likely will cost as much or more than an alternate panel plus I will be able to have the alternate installed before the replacement ever arrives.

Had almost the same story one time over 20 years ago, I quoted the guy $60 to replace two breakers. Called around and the wholesale guys just laughed at me when I told them what I needed. Went to the place that I recommended in my other post and the guys says "sure I have them, how many do you need?" I need two please. Here you go that will be $120.:eek:hmy:

220/221

Any help would be appreciated.

Just tell him that parts are not available and me must change the panel. You already have too much time invested in this thing. Now I have time in it too.

New equipment is cheap. Labor is expensive. Don't get yourself ivolved in this kind of goose chase. Simply tell them it will be $XXX.00 to do the repair. If they "can't afford it" it's not.your.problem.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
Just tell him that parts are not available and me must change the panel. You already have too much time invested in this thing. Now I have time in it too.

New equipment is cheap. Labor is expensive. Don't get yourself ivolved in this kind of goose chase. Simply tell them it will be $XXX.00 to do the repair. If they "can't afford it" it's not.your.problem.

Ha just send RCRosson your consulting bill :)
I agree though. Price him the new panel install. He is not going to find someone else who can magically produce this device for cheap.

220/221

Ha just send RCRosson your consulting bill :)
I agree though. Price him the new panel install. He is not going to find someone else who can magically produce this device for cheap.

It's probably not a money issue, it's the PITA factor with the service buried like that.

In my area, everything is surface mounted and, unless there are a ton of conduits going in every direction, it's "easy" to swap out the service.

Status
Not open for further replies.