Bathroom wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eagle126

I am wiring a bathroom in a new addition, i am installing a 20 amp 120 volt dedicated circuit for the outlets. There is also 2 pendant lights, recessed light over the toilet, 2 sconce lights and a exhaust fan. I am planning on installing a 15 amp circuit for these items, there is also a small hallway with closet that is the entrance to the bathroom seperated by a door, i would like to know if i can add the hall light, closet light, outside light and a outside outlet on this circuit.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You can add the hallway and other items to the bath lighting circuit since you have the dedicated circuit feeding the receptacles

John120/240

Agreed but I avoid bath fans on AFCI if I can help it. I would probably run another circuit for the non bath lighting etc., if it wasn't too difficult.

What is your reasoning to avoid AFCI protected bath fans ? Is it nusiance

tripping ? Would you say that AFCI were pushed upon the market before all

of the bugs were worked out ? Sometimes the CMP reminds you of polticans.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
For years I have been telling everyone I never had an issue with GE afci breakers. Two weeks ago I had just finished a new home. There was problems in the living room, master bedroom and 2nd floor bedrooms. All rooms had ceiling fans bought from lowes - I believe.

Every AFCI tripped. It was odd because the fans worked fine by themselves but when the lights in the hall outside the bedroom were turned on it would trip. I finally realized that the AFCI needs 3 amps before it can detect an arc fault. I got a seimens afci and stuck it in the panel and everything worked.

Called GE and they sent me 6 free older generation afci breakers to try- I only needed 3 but they sent 6 free of charge and overnight. They worked like a charm.

My fear of the bathroom fans is unfounded but I can usually wire both master bath and kids bath together to avoid afci. I also try and wire the laundry room and kitchen area together to avoid afci.

I am not sure why the afci is not required in those areas so I assumed it was because of fans--- better safe then sorry.

I am very glad ge had great tech support specifically for the AFCI. I am sure they have seen their share of problems.

kwired

Electron manager
For years I have been telling everyone I never had an issue with GE afci breakers. Two weeks ago I had just finished a new home. There was problems in the living room, master bedroom and 2nd floor bedrooms. All rooms had ceiling fans bought from lowes - I believe.

Every AFCI tripped. It was odd because the fans worked fine by themselves but when the lights in the hall outside the bedroom were turned on it would trip. I finally realized that the AFCI needs 3 amps before it can detect an arc fault. I got a seimens afci and stuck it in the panel and everything worked.

Called GE and they sent me 6 free older generation afci breakers to try- I only needed 3 but they sent 6 free of charge and overnight. They worked like a charm.

My fear of the bathroom fans is unfounded but I can usually wire both master bath and kids bath together to avoid afci. I also try and wire the laundry room and kitchen area together to avoid afci.

I am not sure why the afci is not required in those areas so I assumed it was because of fans--- better safe then sorry.

I am very glad ge had great tech support specifically for the AFCI. I am sure they have seen their share of problems.

As they make newer generation models they are supposed to be improved.

I am all for the AFCI - when they get it perfected. Problem is we don't even know if they will do what manufacturers claim they will do. On top of that there is no consistency from one manufacturer to another. I just wish there would have been more AHJ's that amended the AFCI requirements out of the code until they were satisfied with the available products, just to send a message to the manufacturers.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

I am all for the AFCI - when they get it perfected. Problem is we don't even know if they will do what manufacturers claim they will do. On top of that there is no consistency from one manufacturer to another. I just wish there would have been more AHJ's that amended the AFCI requirements out of the code until they were satisfied with the available products, just to send a message to the manufacturers.

It was interesting that the older afci worked better than the new one on this particular fan situation. It was still a combo unit but the arc signatures was different. Finding the correct signature for all events must be an extraordinary task.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

We are on the 08 code but the state opted to keep the 05 requirements for AFCI, bedrooms only. Sounds like that was a good move, hearing all the problems others are having with AFCIs all over the house.

jumper

We are on the 08 code but the state opted to keep the 05 requirements for AFCI, bedrooms only. Sounds like that was a good move, hearing all the problems others are having with AFCIs all over the house.

VA did the same when it went to the 2008; however, the decision was mostly based on the increased cost of the AFCIs in new construction.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
VA did the same when it went to the 2008; however, the decision was mostly based on the increased cost of the AFCIs in new construction.

I didn't go to the meeting when this was discussed, so I don't know for sure what the reasoning was. Gus would probably know though.

kwired

Electron manager

If the things do what the makers say they will do cost should not be a factor as far as code is concerned. The real issue is whether or not they actually do what the makers claim, and can they do it reliably? Why does one brand not like a certain situation and another one isn't bothered by it? I'm sure there is probably some standards that need to be met but sure seems like the standards do not create much consistency from one brand to another either.

I still have the opinion that these things are somewhat early in development and the consumer is part of the testing laboratory.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I have put hundreds of bath fans on AFCI, and would not give the OP's installation a second thought. I don't think I've ever seen a bath fan nuisance trip an AFCI.

Eagle126

Are you saying that if i seperate the bathroom lighting 15 amp circuit from the hall and closet wiring i do not need afci protection for the bathroom, which would in turn keep the exhaust fan from having afci and possible nuisance tripping.

kwired

Electron manager
I have put hundreds of bath fans on AFCI, and would not give the OP's installation a second thought. I don't think I've ever seen a bath fan nuisance trip an AFCI.

They are all shaded pole motors. Most motors people have complaints about tripping AFCI's are motors with brushes. Makes sense there is an arc in these motors in normal operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.