Smoking in the work place??

Status
Not open for further replies.

newinspector1

Congratulations to all on quitting smoking. Ceb58 I am glad to hear that you are doing well and giving credit to the One that pulled you through.:cool:

realolman

Geez guys... give it up. Just quit. Life is just as good (better,actually) without them.. you don't have to smoke after you eat, or with coffee, or when you want to think, or any other of those times when you think you would be missing something without cigarettes. You're missing something alright, and you know exactly what it is.

As long as you're suckin' on those things you're still a smoker... what you need to be, and what you want to be is a former smoker

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Geez guys... give it up. Just quit. Life is just as good (better,actually) without them.. you don't have to smoke after you eat, or with coffee, or when you want to think, or any other of those times when you think you would be missing something without cigarettes. You're missing something alright, and you know exactly what it is.

As long as you're suckin' on those things you're still a smoker... what you need to be, and what you want to be is a former smoker

Thank you. :thumbsup:

Roger

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
Geez guys... give it up.

Ha. Must be cool to have such a commanding will power. You yourself a former smoker? Why don't you do the world a favor and stop by a few AA meetings on the way home each day and pass this little gem on to them as well. Then in a few weeks when there are no alcoholics in the world (quick I know, but your message of incredible wisdom will spread like wild fire), you can move onto the other vices....

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I guess it is just that easy, I had no idea.

Nobody said it would be easy and I didn't think I would make it but I did.

Heck, going to work and putting up with some of the people I have to be associated with ain't easy either but I do it. ;)

Roger

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I guess it is just that easy, I had no idea.

Of course all humans are wired alike so what works well for one will work for all. :p

I have known smokers who have tried to quit and succeeded as well smokers who have tried to quit and failed. A shared characteristic of all those who have succeeded was that once they made the decision to be a non-smoker they never went back on it even a little bit, even under stress.

I've known several who switched to the electronic ciggy substitutes and every one of them eventually went back to the regular kind. The same with the nicotine gum. They may be tar-free, but they are still delivery systems for an addictive substance, and I don't know anyone who has successfully used either one of them to break their addiction.

Tobacco has killed several people close to me and has a death grip on many others. I would eradicate it if I could. DSFDF and YMMV.

Last edited:

Davebones

Don't smoke , I never really had a problem with people that do . I do know that the way things are going you won't get a job with a large comapny if you do .I have heard that talk from some of the HR people where I work . Glad to hear some of you have quit after a long time smoking . Smoked some left handed ones years ago hope those don't come back to haunt me . What's that saying you spend the last half of your life paying for everything you did in the first half !!!!

pfalcon

How do you handle the time of smokers taking a break? In most places, that means 5-10 minutes away from the work. Could loose 30-40 minutes a day. Do you allow non-smokers to take the same time off? I was chewed out once for accompanying a coworker on their break because I don't smoke. Seemed rather unfair, especially as I was usually more productive than them, anyway.

I have several low-income buddies that keep a pack just for that purpose. They don't smoke but they go outside with the smokers, light-up, and stand there holding it. It seems if you don't draw attention to yourself, no one wants to pay attention to whether you're really smoking or not.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I quit regular tobacco cigarettes in 1998. I only remember that because after a vacation to MA, my then girlfriend and I were waiting for the train out of town and I asked if we could move up here. She said, "Only if you quit smoking."

I was smoking at the time, I flicked the cigarette onto the train tracks and said, "OK, that was my last cigarette." Of course she didn't believe it would happen, but I just took it step by step. I figured if I could get through the following milestones without smoking a cigarette I'd be all set.

#1 After being on the train, getting off the train at the next rest stop and not smoking.
#2 After making it all the way home, getting in our friends' (who both smoked) car to get a ride home and not smoking.
#3 Waking up and heading to work and not smoking
#4 Not smoking while at work
and finally
#5 Not smoking the next time we went for a couple of alcoholic beverages.

All those happened in the course of a week. A year later we moved to MA.

Now when I mention "regular" cigarettes, what I mean is that when we used to live in NM we would occasionally get people from out of state that could bring us clove cigarettes. Well in MA they are legal. I didn't smoke a lot of them, just one here or there.

Sometime around 2002 I realized I was smoking a lot of them, but it wasn't until 2006 that I decided to quit them. They were much much worse than regular cigarettes and probably contributed to my hernia from all the morning coughing sessions. This time when I quit I wasn't really physically addicted to the nicotine because there isn't as much in a clove cigarette. But one thing I told myself was that I was never going to think about what day I quit, or how many days it had been since I had one. In fact the moment I decided to quit I just started being a non-smoker. Have been ever since.

So to all of you that keep smoking just try to think about what you actually get out of smoking. What do you have to show for it? Good luck out there!

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I have a close relative whom I love dearly, but... He is struggling to make ends meet, working a couple of part time jobs and begging rides around town because his car broke down and he can't afford to get it repaired. He is in his late 50's and has no health insurance.

He smokes at least two packs a day.

In most situations he is a pretty intelligent guy, but he won't even consider quitting smoking. It's non-negotiable.

My mother-in-law died a few years ago from lung cancer. She struggled with emphysema for many years before she was diagnosed with cancer, and for the last few years of her life she had to haul around an O2 bottle on a cart. She never quit smoking even though she knew it was killing her.

A close friend of mine, a heavy smoker, died at 37 from lung cancer. He was sneaking cigarettes in the hospital even the time he went in and never came out.

Having never smoked, myself, it is hard for me to imagine how nicotine can get into someone's head and trump what would would otherwise be "no brainer" decisions, but there it is.

Last edited:

realolman

Ha. Must be cool to have such a commanding will power. You yourself a former smoker? Why don't you do the world a favor and stop by a few AA meetings on the way home each day and pass this little gem on to them as well. Then in a few weeks when there are no alcoholics in the world (quick I know, but your message of incredible wisdom will spread like wild fire), you can move onto the other vices....

You can bang on me all you want... I smoked for many many years and I know all about it. It's obvious from your post that you don't want to quit, and you'll blame it on me ... someone you don't even know..... as long as you don't want to quit you won't... and if it doesn't kill you it will undoubetedly contribute to whatever does... but hey... I was a smoker I know all about it... nothin I or anybody else tells you is going to convince you to quit.... so have your fun.. Ain't no skin off my butt. I'm a bad guy... I am telling you impossible stuff , but I quit a long time ago and I don't miss it.

You're still a smoker.

Last edited:

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
You can bang on me all you want... I smoked for many many years and I know all about it. It's obvious from your post that you don't want to quit, and you'll blame it on me ... someone you don't even know..... as long as you don't want to quit you won't... and if it doesn't kill you it will undoubetedly contribute to whatever does... but hey... I was a smoker I know all about it... nothin I or anybody else tells you is going to convince you to quit.... so have your fun.. I'm a bad guy... I am telling you impossible stuff. I got no will power, but hey I quit a long time ago and I don't miss it.

You're still a smoker. Ain't no skin off my butt.

I'm not smoker, I quit 5 months ago. It does make me wonder why someone who smoked for many years would be so clueless about quitting an addiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.