Status
Not open for further replies.

fireryan

Im installing a outdoor hot tub that will be sitting on a concrete slab. The slab has wire mesh instead or rebar. In reading 680.26 b(2)(B)1 is wire mesh considered reinforcing steel or do I need to run the #8 around the perimeter like they discuss in alternate means.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Keep in mind that this is a TIA to the 2011 NEC. As written the 2011 NEC does require an equipotential bonding grid around an outdoor hot tub.

Yes but that TIA is for 2011 and some areas like NC who have not adopted the 2011 still requires it in spite of the change.

John120/240

I will take a guess,rather than assume; It might be after further research that

the benifit of bonding the slab did not provide any added protection.

Would some more knowledgeable minds chime in.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
There was a proposal to make it happen that was rejected. A comment was made that made a big stir among the CMP, and a task group was created to investigate and see if there had ever been any reported cases of shock from lack of a bonding grid around a hot tub. Beyond that, I don't know.

I'd recommend you read the ROP and ROC for this change (proposal 17-203), it's good reading. :)

shortcircuit2

The "someone" who fought to get this TIA passed was the Hot-Tub industry...so they could save their buyers "money" on the installation of their tubs.

To many customers, installers, etc. were unhappy with the cost and mess of cutting up their concrete patios to install the perimeter bond.

So I see it as politics and money.

Status
Not open for further replies.