Calculating VD for 350' to 125 amp subpanel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntxtrm

I am needing to calculate wire size for a 350' run 120/208 3phase to a 125 amp sub panel from a 1200a mdp. I do not know the actual load on the sub. Customer wants me to go with"SAFE". Should i calc at 125a? I came up with paralel 3/0 for my feeders that way. Does that sound right?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't know where you got parallel 3/0 from. I get 3/0 no parallel with a 125 amp load. That was copper. For aluminum it would be 350kcm

Huntxtrm

350 foot run 3phase 120/208, Texas so ambient temp is gonna be 100degrees F plus. In EMT, in the cieling of non climate controlled space. What did i do wrong?

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
Except the 75deg temp in Table 8 is the conductor temp, not related to ambient temp.

You would however limit the current because of ambient temp per 310.16 which keeps the max temp limited in Table 8. Technically, you would need to use the formula in Note 2 of Table 8 if you use 90deg C cable, because resistance does change with temperature.

Huntxtrm

And thanks for the link, probably gonna order the class. Continuing Edd is creapin up on me anyway. Looks like a good op for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.