Readily accessible receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redline21

Question concerning if a receptacle is readily accessible or not. Recep is in a wall mount bracket for a wall mount projector in a classroom. It is mounted 2 foot above a white board. Once projector is mounted and cables ran there is a cover that goes over the wall mount bracket and covers the receptacle and power cord to the projector. I am getting conflicting information saying that this is and is not readily accessible. The cover is connected to the bracket by a Phillips screw. Any input or answers would help on this.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't believe a receptacle must be readily accessible just accessible. There are many installs similar to what you described.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The new code rule only applies to the GFCIs that are required to be installed by the rule in 210.8. There are other code rules that require the use of GFCIs, but those GFCIs are not covered by the rule in 210.8.

jrohe

Occupation
Professional Engineer
The new code rule only applies to the GFCIs that are required to be installed by the rule in 210.8. There are other code rules that require the use of GFCIs, but those GFCIs are not covered by the rule in 210.8.

I respectfully disagree that the requirement for GFCI devices to be readily accessible only applies to the circuits outlined in 210.8(A) through 210.8(C). The first sentence of 210.8 requires GFCI protection for circuits listed in 210.8(A) through 210.8(C). There are other requirements scattered throughout the Code requiring GFCI protection for other devices or circuits.

However, the second sentence of 210.8 does not limit the readily accessible requirement to only the circuits listed in 210.8(A) through 210.8(C), thereby meaning all GFCI devices are required to be readily accessible.

The intent of the readily accessible requirement is so that the GFCI device is easily reached for the monthly testing that is supposed to happen. It would not be logical to only require the select few circuits outlined in 210.8(A) through 210.8(C) to be easily reached while not requiring the same for the other devices in the other locations throughout the Code.

jumper

I respectfully disagree that the requirement for GFCI devices to be readily accessible only applies to the circuits outlined in 210.8(A) through 210.8(C). The first sentence of 210.8 requires GFCI protection for circuits listed in 210.8(A) through 210.8(C). There are other requirements scattered throughout the Code requiring GFCI protection for other devices or circuits.

However, the second sentence of 210.8 does not limit the readily accessible requirement to only the circuits listed in 210.8(A) through 210.8(C), thereby meaning all GFCI devices are required to be readily accessible.

The intent of the readily accessible requirement is so that the GFCI device is easily reached for the monthly testing that is supposed to happen. It would not be logical to only require the select few circuits outlined in 210.8(A) through 210.8(C) to be easily reached while not requiring the same for the other devices in the other locations throughout the Code.

I dunno, it seems pretty specific to circuits that a person would use on a daily basis, rather than one for a particular application, such as a vending machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.