uffer ground

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a rough inspection on a detached garage with a 100 amp sub and the insp. said that I could not put the access cover on the inside of the garage and I can not find a spacific code ref. on this. can anyone steer me in the right dir. if this is true.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
yes that is what I am dealing with. but my question is weather or not it has to be accessable from only the outside?

I believe it would have to be accessible. It does not matter from where. A gec to a water pipe in a basement isn't accessible from the outside. ?

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Ask the inspector why the access needs to be on the exterior. I always put the access inside if possible. There is no reason to put any extra holes in the exterior that water may enter.

yes that is what I am dealing with. but my question is weather or not it has to be accessable from only the outside?

from Article 100-
Accessible (as applied to wiring methods). Capable of being removed or exposed without damaging the building structure or finish or not permanently closed in by the structure or finish of the building.

I don't see anything in 250.68 that suggests inside/outside only, just that it is accessible. It sounds like you can put as many removable access covers on as you want.

I plan to ask him in the morn. That is the reason I put it on the inside. thank you all for your input I will let you know what he say's.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
then what happens to connection accessability if its buried in the concrete? would that not be a violation of 250.68

It's not required to be accessible:

250.68 Grounding Electrode Conductor and Bonding Jumper Connection to Grounding Electrodes.
The connection of a grounding electrode conductor at the service, at each building or structure where supplied by a feeder(s) or branch circuit(s), or at a separately derived system and associated bonding jumper(s) shall be made as specified 250.68(A) and (B).
(A) Accessibility. All mechanical elements used to terminate a grounding electrode conductor or bonding jumper to a grounding electrode shall be accessible.
Exception No. 1: An encased or buried connection to a concrete-encased, driven, or buried grounding electrode shall not be required to be accessible.
Exception No. 2: Exothermic or irreversible compression connections used at terminations, together with the mechanical means used to attach such terminations to fireproofed structural metal whether or not the mechanical means is reversible, shall not be required to be accessible.

Status
Not open for further replies.