Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shockedby277v

Hey guys,

I don't know if this is really a NEC code but state/elevator code questions. I am working in Indiana and I have a stairwell that is occupancy sensor/switch controlled. Can stairwell lighting in commercial buildings in Indiana be controlled?? Another I am digging for is in my elevator equipment room, the lighting is controlled through a occupancy sensor. In my opinion, this shouldn't be but I can't find anything for this.

Thanks in advance

cadpoint

The NEC addresses wire methods for elevators.

What your thinking of in one case is what is totally begining asked or required because its an elevator, that would be handled at the State level of www.IN.Gov.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
If there is an Indiana Building Code dollars to doughnuts its an ICC document. The following is the exception you seek to the IBC also found in chapter 13 of the Florida Building Code.

505.2.2.2 Automatic lighting shutoff. Buildings larger than 5,000 square feet (465 m2) shall be equipped with an automatic control device to shut off lighting in those areas. This automatic control device shall function on either: 1. A scheduled basis, using time-of-day, with an independent program schedule that controls the interior lighting in areas that do not exceed 25,000 square feet (2323 m2) and are not more than one floor; or 2. An occupant sensor that shall turn lighting off within 30 minutes of an occupant leaving a space; or 3. A signal from another control or alarm system that indicates the area is unoccupied.

Exception:
The following shall not require an automatic control device: 1. Sleeping unit (see Section 505.2.3). 2. Lighting in spaces where patient care is directly provided. 3. Spaces where an automatic shutoff would endanger occupant safety or security.

Status
Not open for further replies.