Wiring for Electronic balasts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thompsond

What are the code requirements when remodeling a commercial building. Does the old cable (BX) have to be replaced with MC? What code section is it found in? Also does the abandond cable need to be removed?

jumper

What are the code requirements when remodeling a commercial building. Does the old cable (BX) have to be replaced with MC? What code section is it found in? Also does the abandond cable need to be removed?

The answer is maybe.

I believe many modern fixtures require supply conductors to be rated for 90C or 75C, so, depending on the insulation in the AC/BX cable, 110.3(B) maybe a problem.

The old AC/BX cable sheath no longer qualifies as an EGC, no bonding strip, so 250.118(8) maybe a problem.

Abandoned power cables/conductors are not required to be removed; however, communications and many other such types are. What type of cables are you asking about?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
The answer is maybe.

I believe many modern fixtures require supply conductors to be rated for 90C or 75C, so, depending on the insulation in the AC/BX cable, 110.3(B) maybe a problem.

The old AC/BX cable sheath no longer qualifies as an EGC, no bonding strip, so 250.118(8) maybe a problem.

Abandoned power cables/conductors are not required to be removed; however, communications and many other such types are. What type of cables are you asking about?

I think he is asking about if the old AC/BX was replaced would he need to remove the old. Answer is still no.

Status
Not open for further replies.