Fused Disco vs. Enclosed BRKR

Status
Not open for further replies.

buccs407

Inactive, Email Never Verified
An apartment service after 220.84 optional load calc is 689 amps 120/240v.

Is there an advantage to using either enclosed breaker or fused disconnect switch for service entrance disconnecting means?

If I use a 1000 service disconnect, fused down to 800 amps would I still require GFCI protection?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
An apartment service after 220.84 optional load calc is 689 amps 120/240v.

Is there an advantage to using either enclosed breaker or fused disconnect switch for service entrance disconnecting means?

If I use a 1000 service disconnect, fused down to 800 amps would I still require GFCI protection?

The GFPE protection in only for a 3? Wye system and over 150 volts to ground. Obvioulsy anyone can reset a circuit breaker, a 800 fuse might be trickier to replace.

230.95 Ground-Fault Protection of Equipment.
Ground-fault protection of equipment shall be provided for solidly grounded wye electric services of more than 150 volts to ground but not exceeding 600 volts phase-to-phase for each service disconnect rated 1000 amperes or more. The grounded conductor for the solidly grounded wye system shall be connected directly to ground through a grounding electrode system, as specified in 250.50, without inserting any resistor or impedance device.
The rating of the service disconnect shall be considered to be the rating of the largest fuse that can be installed or the highest continuous current trip setting for which the actual overcurrent device installed in a circuit breaker is rated or can be adjusted.

cadpoint

How many dwelling units are involved, if there's more than three did you take the "demand factor" of Table 220.84? You don't have to prove it to me or even post any numbers!

Frankly your total load seems high...(in respects to the size of the existing POCO service) but there's no reference or base line to a numerical count of units.

This really opens up other considerations on your part under Part IV, within this is a reference back to Part III.

Is it GFI or GFCI ? - Infinity stated that GFI is required above 1000 Amps.
GFCI will be required within your individual units and including AFCI per units.

GFCI and AFCI in general are to be accounted for and installed accordingly in each unit but excect where an exact accounting is required it does not add to the total sum of of your amps.

Depending on your local authority, sometimes just a panel swap (in your case)
your Service Equipement change will not cause an GFCI or AFCI installs... it all just depends on your locale.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
How many dwelling units are involved, if there's more than three did you take the "demand factor" of Table 220.84? You don't have to prove it to me or even post any numbers!

Frankly your total load seems high...(in respects to the size of the existing POCO service) but there's no reference or base line to a numerical count of units.

This really opens up other considerations on your part under Part IV, within this is a reference back to Part III.

Is it GFI or GFCI ? - Infinity stated that GFI is required above 1000 Amps.
GFCI will be required within your individual units and including AFCI per units.

GFCI and AFCI in general are to be accounted for and installed accordingly in each unit but excect where an exact accounting is required it does not add to the total sum of of your amps.

Depending on your local authority, sometimes just a panel swap (in your case)
your Service Equipement change will not cause an GFCI or AFCI installs... it all just depends on your locale.

Actually it's GFPE that required as I stated in post #2.

buccs407

Inactive, Email Never Verified
Thank You

Thank You

I meant to say GFPE protection. My building is 16 units, so I took the demand factor from 220.84 (39%)
This gave me 689 amps.
I think I"ll go with an 800 amp enclosed breaker.

Any ideas on the price difference between an 800 a F/D or an 800A enclosed Brkr?

I really appreciate the pros on this forum. It is a great wealth of knowledge.

cadpoint

Actually it's GFPE that required as I stated in post #2.

I see this question all the time about the exact mis-reference to this one term/application, it seems I fell into the same trap.

Yes, I read that in my research, Article 230.95 GFP of E (now this is under Ground fault protection- the sub Article is Service disconnecting means its not it's own Article title), my opinion is that they do not need this application.

If you want to consider conduits I'd look at 110.14(1)(b); also one might look at 110.22; 110.24(B); 110.31(B)(1) & (D)

Status
Not open for further replies.