Egress Lighting and Daylight Harvesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoe

I have some corridor fixtures that are within vicinity of skylights, which will automatically dim for daylight harvesting (to meet some LEED requirements). Do you think I can have some of these corridor fixtures on emergency circuits for egress and keep the daylight harvesting controls on these fixtures?

The fixtures would be off when there is sufficient daylight in the space, so in theory it would not be an issue, but I'm not sure if I'm getting into a grey area. Thoughts?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
You can do that. You just have to set up the control system in such a way that if the utility (normal) power source were to be lost, the egress lights would come on with full brightness (i.e., overriding the daylighting feature). There are a number of ways to accomplish this. Which one works best for you will depend on the type of light control you have for the building.

Shoe

Well that's kind of the kicker, the controls were going to come integral with the fixture, which would not allow for an "override" if the facility were to lose normal power. However, if the fixture was being forced off by the photosensor, then there would naturally be sufficent daylight to provide for the egress lighting.

I may just end up using some battery wall fixtures to get around any of this, but I was curious if it could be done and still meet code.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.