MA Energy Code?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joebell

Has anyone in MA heard of a code rquiring the use of gasketed outlet boxes mounted inside dwellings on exterior walls?

Where can this be found, The state building code? I have been called on this before with recessed lighting without a specific reference to any standard and would just like to know so I can familiarize myself with it.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
You will find this in chapter 4 of the International Energy Conservation Code. If the MA Building Code is an ICC document the same wording will be found there.

402.4.2 Air sealing and insulation. Building envelope air tightness and insulation installation shall be demonstrated to comply with one of the following options given by Section 402.4.2.1 or 402.4.2.2:

TABLE 402.4.2 AIR BARRIER AND INSULATION INSPECTION COMPONENT CRITERIA

Electrical/phone box on exterior walls Air barrier extends behind boxes or air sealed-type boxes are installed.

shepelec

There is no requirement to use gasketed boxes in MA.
It is one of the methods you can use to comply with the energy code but there are other methods.

shepelec

It is up to the individual towns as to whether or not they adopt it. I would ask the building dept of the particular town if they have adopted the "Stretch Energy" code.

When the selectmen of the town I live in voted for it, all they cared about was how much money the state was going to give them.:happysad:

Status
Not open for further replies.