Koko Fit Club price

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan55

I just bid a Koko fit club. After I submitted my price I was told that most of these are the same and that they should run in the 7 to 8 thousand range for electrical. It is an existing building so it is a remodel. I am buying the lights from a national chain , they cost around 4 thousand dollars just for lights. 7 or 8 thousand seems way low , am I out of line , my price was more than double 7 or 8 thousand. Just wondering if anyone else bid one of these and what there approximate number was.

Buck Parrish

Never done one of these but
generally you can not go by what the owner or general contractors tell you what a price should be.
They don't know your cost of running a bussiness, etc...

May be tell him if I have done one before I would know, but I haven't so this is the cost on the first one.

hurk27

I get allot of this from traveling builders that do national chains, the problem they do not realize (or they do and are just playing the game) is there are many factors that will make a job come out higher in different areas of the country, labor cost, tax's, equipment and supply, over head running a business can very greatly across the country, I simply explain these differences to them and let them know this is what it will cost at this location.

Also how long has it been since they did their last one, prices have raised greatly in the past few months

you also going to find one area that would allow NM in a commercial building and other areas that wont, that alone will almost double the price

renosteinke

You have no information on which to base your opinions.

OK, you have HIS price ... but you have not figured out yours. Until you do, you have no idea if his opinion is realistic.

Having his price does help you frame your response. If you're close, then perhaps a reasonable agreement can be reached. If your figures are more than 30% apart, then you'll have to prepare for the possibility that he has no intention of negotiating in good faith.

OK, times are hard and we are all hungry- but you are in no position to be subsidizing this guy. KNOW your numbers.

shockin

I have never even heard of this chain, but it is very typical in this area that the fixture package through the national account would be provided by the owner or GC. Are you sure that isn't the case here?

renosteinke

Perhaps this is a bit off the OP's question, but.... whenever someone starts off a conversation by telling me how 'big' they are, I start worrying. Another variation of this is the 'we're huge, international, nationwide, etc.' line.

I've had a few such customers, and a few constants seem to apply:

The first is: it's a power play. They intend to micromanage every detail of the job and second-guess every action, however small. It's YOUR job to bend over backward to accomodate every minor inconvenience of theirs. We're bigger than you, so you're our slave.

The second is: payment is optional. Expect SLOW payments, and invoices to be 'mislaid.' Then questioned, dissected, etc. Heaven help you if one invoice says 'switch $3" and another says for a different job 'switch $10.' Plan on an endless series of 'no more work until I get paid' discussions.

Finally, no matter how well things go, expect zero loyalty ... especially if there is ANY hint, however small, of additional work on other jobs. If that happens, you can be sure you will NEVER be called again. So, don't fall for the 'just add the extra cost to the next job' line. It won't happen.

nyerinfl

I did a koko fit earlier this year. I didn't supply the light fixtures on the job. The job had a tight budget, which was made very clear at the start. Overall it was a pretty easy job, 7-8K is low, I would aim for at minimum the 9-10K range, and your O&P at that rate will still be pretty low.

Just remember that everyone cuts their own deal, it's up to you to get it, their job is to get the job put together for as little as possible.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I just bid a Koko fit club. After I submitted my price I was told that most of these are the same and that they should run in the 7 to 8 thousand range for electrical. It is an existing building so it is a remodel. I am buying the lights from a national chain , they cost around 4 thousand dollars just for lights. 7 or 8 thousand seems way low , am I out of line , my price was more than double 7 or 8 thousand. Just wondering if anyone else bid one of these and what there approximate number was.

from their website.....

they have 37 open, and about half that many coming up, and a lot of
optimism.

location seems straightforward from google street view....

5312 Sheridan Lake Road
Suite 105
Rapid City SD, 57702

if you were curious, you could find out what the build out costs are
from the other side of the table....

http://franchise.kokofitclub.com/information-request/

you saying the lights are $4k, means that total material on the thing will be maybe another $1,700... $200 for permits, yada yada...

i'd want $3,600 to do it, as a one man band with zero overhead.

$9,650.00 and that is a dirt cheap, in the weeds, economy is poo price.

probably about what the low bid will be.

in the last month, i've bid, and been accepted for, about $60k in small commercial work, $15k here, few thousand there, etc.

service truck work.... there has yet to be ANY of it started. zero.
turns out, nobody has any money, it appears.

and that will drive panicky people to do almost anything......

Fulthrotl

hm.... kinda odd.... when i read your post originally, i googled kokofit, and
ended up on their web page, and looked at the page there for franchises,
and got that address for the only new one in south dakota, making the
assumption you are bidding one from your home state......

and that address already HAS a fitness thing called "curves" there, also
a franchise, appearing similar in nature.... my little "look closer" hairs
on the back of my neck stood up... if you get this, make sure there is
a clear path to you getting paid..... something is odd.....

cowboyjwc

Staff member
hm.... kinda odd.... when i read your post originally, i googled kokofit, and
ended up on their web page, and looked at the page there for franchises,
and got that address for the only new one in south dakota, making the
assumption you are bidding one from your home state......

and that address already HAS a fitness thing called "curves" there, also
a franchise, appearing similar in nature.... my little "look closer" hairs
on the back of my neck stood up... if you get this, make sure there is
a clear path to you getting paid..... something is odd.....

I believe that Curves went bankrupt. So your "look closer" hairs may be right on.

I think that Hurk had one of the best answers. Yeah you might get it for $7-8K in South Dakota, but you sure aren't going to get it for that in Southern California. If your labor with guys is $100 an hour, two weeks puts you at $8k.

dan55

Just to clarify I did give my price. After that I was told that they usually are in the 7 to 8 thousand range. I am not even close to the 7 or 8 range. The thing about this one is I have to run 150 foot of EMT for a new 200 amp service. I would guess that maybe normally they have adequate a adequate service at most of these. Maybe copper is cheaper in other parts of the country but I doubt it. I guess if they get somebody to do it for that have at it , my number is where I want it.

renosteinke

After doing a wee bit of internet digging, I have to hand it to Fulthrotl and his "BS detector."

It sure looks like Curves was operated by a skunk, and that the same skunk has re-invented himself as Koko. If the various tales are to be believed, this skunk is real clear about getting your money, making sure that you perform .... and far less conscientious about holding up his end of the bargain - especially when it comes to paying you.

Add to that the complications of franchise agreements - are you working for the chain, or the individual franchisee? - and I'd run from this one like my pants were on fire.

Now, there IS a certain contractor whom I recommend to this chain. I am thinking of a certain California man who has had numerous sanctions against his licenses, has 'rented' licenses, has even had trucks with different license numbers on different sides of them. This man, affectionately known as "Gesundheit," is just the man to do these health clubs.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
After doing a wee bit of internet digging, I have to hand it to Fulthrotl and his "BS detector."

It sure looks like Curves was operated by a skunk, and that the same skunk has re-invented himself as Koko. If the various tales are to be believed, this skunk is real clear about getting your money, making sure that you perform .... and far less conscientious about holding up his end of the bargain - especially when it comes to paying you.

Add to that the complications of franchise agreements - are you working for the chain, or the individual franchisee? - and I'd run from this one like my pants were on fire.

Now, there IS a certain contractor whom I recommend to this chain. I am thinking of a certain California man who has had numerous sanctions against his licenses, has 'rented' licenses, has even had trucks with different license numbers on different sides of them. This man, affectionately known as "Gesundheit," is just the man to do these health clubs.

So are you saying he is or isn't someone you could sneeze at?:lol:

Fulthrotl

Just to clarify I did give my price. After that I was told that they usually are in the 7 to 8 thousand range. I am not even close to the 7 or 8 range. The thing about this one is I have to run 150 foot of EMT for a new 200 amp service. I would guess that maybe normally they have adequate a adequate service at most of these. Maybe copper is cheaper in other parts of the country but I doubt it. I guess if they get somebody to do it for that have at it , my number is where I want it.

150' of emt, a 225 amp panel w/o main disconnect, a breaker, wire
and labor is $4,377 in this part of the woods, all by itself... installed

7 grand for everything? caution the fellow not to burn his fingers on
that glass pipe he's holding.

bradleyelectric

150' of emt, a 225 amp panel w/o main disconnect, a breaker, wire
and labor is $4,377 in this part of the woods, all by itself... installed

7 grand for everything? caution the fellow not to burn his fingers on
that glass pipe he's holding.

I'm thinking that price might be for a tenant space that has an existing panel in the space large enough to handle the load. The next problem with the price is it would seem to be about enough to cover the lighting for the space. Treadmills tend to use a lot of power and often are fed from floor boxes. I havent done 1 of these franchises and don't know their layout.

dan55

I had $5281.00 for the service upgrade , about a hundred feet was outside somewhat of a tricky run and had two long LBs. I am working for the individual franchisee.

Status
Not open for further replies.