Problem With Posting Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I hope this question is allowed, and don't really have a category for it either. I'm having a problem with inserting images/pictures in posts. This is a new problem as I've been able to insert them in the past. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. When I copy a URL from say, PhotoBucket, and then paste it in the "insert image" window that appears when you click the insert image icon, I get a "invalid file" message. This happens when trying this in posts. If I try the same thing in a PM it doesn't give me the "invalid file" message, but it doesn't show the image either. If you preview the PM instead of the image/picture it just shows the word "/image". I use Firefox for my browser. I tried it in Internet Explorer. I don't get an invalid file message but it just sits and thinks (spinning wheel) indefinitely. If I try a PM in IE, it does the same as Firefox, just shows the word "/image". I'm thinking it might have something to do with a Windows update as I have had them mess things up before. Anyone have any experience or advise for this problem?
Thanks!

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Yes, I use the "insert image" icon.
I thought the direct link only posted the link to the picture.
Wait, I'll try that here.

View attachment 5673
Here's how to do it.

In Photobucket, upload your image first, then go to the album in which you uploaded to. Hover your cursor over the image's thumbnail. A larger thumbnail and some code will appear in a frame. Click inside the block to the right of "IMG code". The text in the block will change to "Copied" for a second or so. What this did was copied the IMG code to your Clipboard. Now go the message block for the forum and simply invoke the Paste function where you want the image to appear. Like this...

Insertimages1.jpg

Insertimages2.jpg

Insertimages3.jpg

Insertimages4.jpg

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
In Photobucket, upload your image first, then go to the album in which you uploaded to. Hover your cursor over the image's thumbnail. A larger thumbnail and some code will appear in a frame. Click inside the block to the right of "IMG code". The text in the block will change to "Copied" for a second or so. What this did was copied the IMG code to your Clipboard. Now go the message block for the forum and simply invoke the Paste function where you want the image to appear. Like this...
That's exactly what I do. But when I paste it in I get the "invalid file" message.

Jumper, I'm not attaching (using the paper clip) I use the "insert image" icon.

I'm not an expert on a computer by any means, but I can usually find my way around them ok. That's why I think something has changed probably from a windows update.
Thanks guys, keep thinking and let me know.

jumper

That's exactly what I do. But when I paste it in I get the "invalid file" message.

Jumper, I'm not attaching (using the paper clip) I use the "insert image" icon.

I'm not an expert on a computer by any means, but I can usually find my way around them ok. That's why I think something has changed probably from a windows update.
Thanks guys, keep thinking and let me know.

If you use the "insert image" icon you need a "direct link" URL.

If you use a "Img code" URL you just paste it in without using an icon.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
If you use the "insert image" icon you need a "direct link" URL.

If you use a "Img code" URL you just paste it in without using an icon.

005.jpg

Like this? Can't argue that this worked but in the past I've alsways used the icon. But this works and I won't worry about why. I guess I owe you a Krystal Value Meal if I'm ever up your way.:happyyes:

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I see you got it. This is what the code should look like

[IMG]http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee379/LittleBill1/005.jpg[/IMG]

Here is what the jpg image looks like in your earlier post-- it is manage attachment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5673[/ATTACH]

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I see you got it. This is what the code should look like

[IMG]http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee379/LittleBill1/005.jpg[/IMG]

Here is what the jpg image looks like in your earlier post-- it is manage attachment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5673[/ATTACH]

But I didn't ever use the attach button. Jumper said it showed as an attchment too. I used the "direct link" line in PhotoBucket for that. I've never used the paper clip (attach) icon in MH reply screen. I had always before used the "insert image" icon but it doesn't work for me now. I just copied the "image URL" from P.B. and direct pasted into my post.
I will show you what this looks like where you say it shows as an attachment. Here I'm using the "direct link" line in P.B. and the "insert image" icon in MH.
005.jpg

It shows the link to the pic. but I didn't use the paper clip.
I used to use the "IMG code in P.B. to copy then use the "insert image" icon in MH, but it doesn't work now. So I did what Jumper said and pasted it in the reply with no icon used.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Bill this is not using the image icon. This is attachments-- forget them they are messed up.

You must use this icon
insertimage.png
then you need to past the url

This is exactly what I use when it gives me the "invalid file" message.
So now I have to directly paste into a post without using the icon. What's changed? IDK!:?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
To give credit to Smart$, I just repeated what he said first. It was his solution.

Ok, 1 Krystal Value Meal, and 1 Mc Happy Meal!:)

Question: What is the "insert image" icon for if not for inserting images from a photo sharing site? I've tried to use the "from computer" selection within that but can't get that to work either.

Status
Not open for further replies.