filling out N.J. electrical tech card

Status
Not open for further replies.

mh183

Is it illegal to fill out an electrical tech card in pencil ? d.c.a stated no requirements just legible.
I checked the boards hand book not talked about.

JES2727

I think he's referring to the permit application, sometimes referred to around here as the "tech section".
I can't answer about the pencil, but I wouldn't do it because somebody in the code enforcement office would probably make an issue about it.

mh183

tech card

tech card

the form you fill out with, work location , block lot, owner information.
electrical contractor license # tax id #.
to apply for a permit along with permit jacket to the township you will do the work

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
As a rule of thumb I would not trust filling out any legal document in pencil.

Ditto that. The carbon copies will tell the tale if you're worried about someone altering your application unless you dont press hard enough to make it through to your copy. My wife claims I routinely engrave the granite counter when taking phone messages so it's not a problem for me!:lol: If you use the PDF forms from the state web site you're using the computer to fill it out so still shouldn't be a problem.

mh183

You download the form - some towns want it filled out in triplicate, while some towns will accept one sheet. In both cases, it must be signed and sealed.

Back to the original question, there is no law against writing the form in pencil according to the state of NJ. This was a clerical question in the office - I just wanted to have everyone's input.

gadfly56

Occupation
FYI here's the link to the State PDF electrical permit : http://www.state.nj.us/dca/divisions/codes/forms/pdf_ucc_stdforms/ucc_f120_elec.pdf . Problem is, it's a little difficult to "sign & seal" the permit while you're on-line. :slaphead:

BTW, if you use this on-line application (depending on the municipality) you'll probably have to print out 3-4 copies and sign & seal all of them.

Read the bottom of the form.

"Applicant: When submitting this form to your Local Construction Code
Enforcement Office, please provide one original plus three photocopies." emphasis mine :D.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Read the bottom of the form.

"Applicant: When submitting this form to your Local Construction Code
Enforcement Office, please provide one original plus three photocopies." emphasis mine :D.
Good pick up !!! A lot depends on the municipality you're dealing with and how many copies they want. I use the "Whatever floats your boat" method. I go prepared with all the required copies signed and sealed so I can't be turned away. That way when you get a secretary who wants it just that way you don't have to waste time sitting there and arguing with her. We've come a long way here in NJ especially over the past few years we've managed to break through a lot of bureaucratic red tape and stereotypical practices. Thank God for the Internet.

BTW, do any of you have to wait a day or two to get simple permits issued ? In some cases I've had to wait two days in just to do a 200 amp service upgrade.

gadfly56

Occupation
Good pick up !!! A lot depends on the municipality you're dealing with and how many copies they want. I use the "Whatever floats your boat" method. I go prepared with all the required copies signed and sealed so I can't be turned away. That way when you get a secretary who wants it just that way you don't have to waste time sitting there and arguing with her. We've come a long way here in NJ especially over the past few years we've managed to break through a lot of bureaucratic red tape and stereotypical practices. Thank God for the Internet.

BTW, do any of you have to wait a day or two to get simple permits issued ? In some cases I've had to wait two days in just to do a 200 amp service upgrade.

Yeah, one original is the minimum, but really, I submit four (4) originals so no one can complain.

If it takes two days for your permits to get turned around, I'm going to have you do mine! There have been some terrible cut backs all across the state. Jersey City has the AHJ and one fire inspector for the whole city and they still have a ton of building going on. I'm sure Rick Napier and others from NJ could give us an earfull.

mh183

look in to minor work N.J.A.C. 5.23-2.17 a notify ahj and do work, file permit with in 5 business days . Emergency wok notice with in 72 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.