Class 2, Division 1 Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcheser

I have a customer who has purchased European equipment for use in the US in a Class 2, Division 1 environment (Grain Dust). Are there any issues with the installation of European standards in the US? Is there any certain area I should be cautious of?

Would appreciate any input.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
As long as it is actually identified and/or listed for the proper US Division and Class, I don't think it matters much where it was manufactured.

Keep in mind that it is not unusual for equipment that comes from other countries to not be suitable for use in any hazardous area in the US. Europe does not use the Class and Division system, and the zone system they use is not compatible with the US zone system.

Last edited:

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
It will all come down to the certifications, markings and how the location is actually classified.

If the equipment is certified and marked only to European Union standards (commonly called CENELEC), it is not acceptable in the US domestic market. See 506.9; read the entire Section.

Even if the equipment is properly marked per the NEC, unlike Class I, (See 501.5), there is no general provision for "cross application" of Zone equipment into Division classified locations. The location would need to be reclassified under 506.6(C). NOTE: this does not require the entire facility to be reclassified, only the general area around the Zone rated equipment. Some Division rated equipment is suitable for Zones though. See 506.9(C)(1).

dcheser

Understood Bob. I guess the problem is it is not listed with the US Class and Group, an example of one component that they have provided me...it's listed as II2GD E Ex de IIB T4 IP65. I'm trying to make some kind of determination if this would meet Class II, Division 1, Group G Sounds as if I'm wasting my time

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Interesting. The IEC "Ex de" marking indicates it's more applicable to Class I. (Side note: see 502.5) Nevertheless, the IP & T markings probably make it suitable for Class II, Division 2, Group G as well. That said, a NRTL field investigation would clear it up pretty quickly - and, depending on who you choose, it may not cost too much.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
So only way to approve for use in the US is through an NRTL investigation?
Well, I don't know another way that is likely to find AHJ acceptance.

You might try a Section 500.8(A)(3) approach. A (CE) mark alone is a (European) manufacturer's self certification. Several European "third-parties" have relationships with UL, ETL, FM and TUV; their US counterparts may be able to help.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Understood Bob. I guess the problem is it is not listed with the US Class and Group, an example of one component that they have provided me...it's listed as II2GD E Ex de IIB T4 IP65. I'm trying to make some kind of determination if this would meet Class II, Division 1, Group G Sounds as if I'm wasting my time

Does this suggest it is listed for Class II, div2, groupD? I don't recall that sequence of letters being part of any European hazrdous area labeling. But, it has been a while. If so it would not be suitable for div 1.

It seems to me that the guy that bought the equipment needs to get in touch with the supplier and find out just what was sold, versus what was bought.

Last edited:

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Since Group D is automatically Class I, it isn't too likely. Here's an ATEX chart to help decipher.
Edit add: Note the "E Ex" is indeed the CENELEC designator, just as "A Ex" is the NEC designator.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.