wire encased in pvc in concrete slab

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodneee

old folks community with 1 story (no basement) units built on 7 inch concrete slabs...prior to roughwire the builders staff was laying a pvc pipe for us to run a wire for the kitchen island outlets, dw, disp, etc...it has now come to my attention (85 +- units later) the pvc pipe is directly on top of the stone in the concrete as opposed to in the dirt underneath the the stone and concrete...i always thought the pvc had to go in the dirt...builder said building inspector said he had no problems...electrical inspector either missed it or is ok with it as is...should i tell the builder he must now put pipe in dirt?...

Yep, what he ^^ said. Although it is legal to be in the middle of a slab (like a wall in a tilt up building), its best to get it below the grade just in case there might be some other saw cutting going on in the area years down the road, but if its done already, I would not look back :cool:

jumper

I am going with 0" required. :)

Maybe, I found this in the IBC.

1906.3 Conduits and pipes embedded in concrete. Conduits, pipes and sleeves of any material not harmful to concrete and within the limitations of ACI 318, Section 6.3, are permitted to be embedded in concrete with approval of the registered design professional.

iwire

Staff member
Which part are you going 0" with?

Under a building is 0"

If we try to apply the 4" concrete rule to wiring in the ground level slab of a building we can't enter many floor boxes or use Walker Duct with 2" cups.

Actually, IMO nothing in table 300.5 applies to conduits 'in' slabs.

That table is for underground raceways and cables.

Last edited:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Under a building is 0"

If we try to apply the 4" concrete rule to wiring in the ground level slab of a building we can't enter many floor boxes or use Walker Duct with 2" cups.

Oh in that case you are correct. :happyyes:

Volta

Under a building is 0"

Well, I would consider "under" to be different from "within", but you know me. :roll:

Eh, Note 3 would probably cover that one.

That I can go with though.

iwire

Staff member
Well, I would consider "under" to be different from "within", but you know me. :roll:

And I would consider a conduit laying on the dirt under the lower level slab (as the OP describes) to be under the building not within the the building.

Or is there some other location where we would have 0" of cover over a raceway and is under a building?

Volta

And I would consider a conduit laying on the dirt under the lower level slab (as the OP describes) to be under the building not within the the building.

Yeah, me too. In rereading I guess I mistook your post in response to
"4" of concrete cover is all that is required. Many are mistaken that it's supposed to be down 4" in the dirt, before you pour the concrete."
to mean that even is still within the slab, 4" below the top was under the building. But it didn't.

Or is there some other location where we would have 0" of cover over a raceway and is under a building?

Maybe, but having nothing to do with these scenarios.

Status
Not open for further replies.