Power tools, from lower end retailers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benton

Hey has anyone bought any power tools from lower end retailers? I am looking to purchase a corded hammer drill and sawzall. Does anyone have any good or bad experiences to share?

John120/240

The old adage " You get what you pay for " applies here. I have heard stories

where a guy bought a bargin no name corded hammer drill, & it got the job

done. Harbor Freight might be a place to shop if thats what you are after.

Bargin tools I consider disposable.

parkersparker

I have had an SDS hammer drill from Harbor Freight that has taken 5+ years of abuse and hasn't missed a beat.

I think it's the model one step above the cheapest they offer.

kwired

Electron manager
Only you know how you intend to use these tools. If you are only planning to drill occasional 1/4 hole for plastic anchors in concrete with the hammer drill then it may last a long time. If you will frequently drill 1/2 or larger holes it may just melt in your hands one day.

renosteinke

I usually start off with a Harbor Freight, or similar, economy tool. The experience will teach me whether the tool is worth having on the truck, and what features I desire when I get a "real" one.

I have found the HF rotohammer, demolition hammer, and jackhammer to be perfectly satisfactory. The bandsaw. "multimaster" clone, and bench grinder are also fine. The angle grinder is prone to having switch issues, but is useful.

The HF 'saws-it-all' is a major PITA and poor performer. Their 'hole hog' is also prone to having something inside break. Economy saber saws (mine was a B&D version) work- barely.

Cordless tools? Cheap ones have poor batteries and are prone to charging problems. Don't waste your money, not even once.

I haven't used any drill, let alone a corded one, in ages. For me, the cordless impact driver is king- and it's amazing how much work I can get out of my little 10v, pocket-size Bosch. There are plenty of drill bits out there with the hex shank you want. I even use mine to drill wood framing with auger bits and metal with my Unibit.

Regarding corded hammer drills ..... there's a tremendous difference between brands, even corded brands. For holes under 1/4", my cordless one does just fine. For anything larger, you probably want to skip the hammer-drill and move up to a roto-hammer.

It's telling that my $75 roto-hammer has at least $400 worth of bits with it. Don't leave the price of the accessories out of your tool budget. Even my saws-it-all has a couple hundred $$$ in blades and accessories. (Visit Paws-Off tools for some nifty accessories for your saw).

Which brings up one problem with the cheap tools: poor, or non-existant cases. Fortunately, I am able to use ammo cans for most tools. The roto-hammer, hole-hog, and saws-it-all each fit nicely in the smaller 40mm ammo can.

rt66electric

buy used milwaukee or such

buy used milwaukee or such

I have very good luck buying used(milwaukee, dewalt,etc) drills, sawalls, etc. I cannot afford any new ones,nor have I broken any used ones.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I have a Harbor Freight chop saw that I've used for years, I've replaced every piece of moulding in my house using it. Now if I did it for a living I would, for sure, use a better saw. I have to check the square and angle on mine from time to time, but the $400+ dollars I saved make it worth it.

MarkyMarkNC

I bought a Harbor Freight sawzall about six months ago when I left my Milwaukee at the house. I use it more than the Milwaukee now.

I bought a big hammer drill from Harbor Freight that has worked unfailingly for years.

The cordless tools I've bought there wound up being thrown in the garbage. The heat gun I bought from HF exploded when I dropped it on the ground. The drill press I bought there is practically useless.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Lots of the HF stuff is great and a great bargain. Look at the tool itself and see if the casting and machining are done well.

If you plan to use the tool an a every day heavy duty basis HF might not stand up to it. I don't know the policy for repair either. I do know Dewalt, makita stand behind the product well after the initial warrenty from personal experience.:thumbsup:

ceb58

I have a Harbor Freight chop saw that I've used for years, I've replaced every piece of moulding in my house using it. Now if I did it for a living I would, for sure, use a better saw. I have to check the square and angle on mine from time to time, but the $400+ dollars I saved make it worth it.

I have one also I just bought a higher priced blade for it and have used it for years. Had the SDS hammer drill also. It bit the dust after about two years but for $80.00 it more than paid for its self.

Benton

I usually start off with a Harbor Freight, or similar, economy tool. The experience will teach me whether the tool is worth having on the truck, and what features I desire when I get a "real" one.

I have found the HF rotohammer, demolition hammer, and jackhammer to be perfectly satisfactory. The bandsaw. "multimaster" clone, and bench grinder are also fine. The angle grinder is prone to having switch issues, but is useful.

The HF 'saws-it-all' is a major PITA and poor performer. Their 'hole hog' is also prone to having something inside break. Economy saber saws (mine was a B&D version) work- barely.

Cordless tools? Cheap ones have poor batteries and are prone to charging problems. Don't waste your money, not even once.

I haven't used any drill, let alone a corded one, in ages. For me, the cordless impact driver is king- and it's amazing how much work I can get out of my little 10v, pocket-size Bosch. There are plenty of drill bits out there with the hex shank you want. I even use mine to drill wood framing with auger bits and metal with my Unibit.

Regarding corded hammer drills ..... there's a tremendous difference between brands, even corded brands. For holes under 1/4", my cordless one does just fine. For anything larger, you probably want to skip the hammer-drill and move up to a roto-hammer.

It's telling that my $75 roto-hammer has at least $400 worth of bits with it. Don't leave the price of the accessories out of your tool budget. Even my saws-it-all has a couple hundred $$$ in blades and accessories. (Visit Paws-Off tools for some nifty accessories for your saw).

Which brings up one problem with the cheap tools: poor, or non-existant cases. Fortunately, I am able to use ammo cans for most tools. The roto-hammer, hole-hog, and saws-it-all each fit nicely in the smaller 40mm ammo can.

Thanks guys for your help, and thanks for being specific.

Status
Not open for further replies.