Surge Receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

cornbread

Surge receptacles (Leviton 5380), are they effective? Should they be used on such things as new washing mahines (with all their electronic controls). Opinions and thoughts are greatly appreciated.:?

ELA

Occupation
Electrical Test Engineer
I have installed one in my home and am happy with it.
It has an integral EMI filter as well as MOVs.

I added it on a wall mount LCD TV.

They are nice where only one or two, permanently located devices require protection, otherwise a surge strip might be preferred.

beanland

Cost to replace

Cost to replace

I do not like anything that is permanently wired because it is too difficult/expensive to replace if and when it fails. I like plug strips with integral surge protection. The other advantage is that you can move them with the sensitive equipment. No reason to have a surge protector on the washing machine but for sure on the TV! You can buy a lot of plugstrips and put them all over the house for the cost of a few permanent surge protectors.

WIMaster

I never thought of putting one on my wash machine, but I probably should try it as it cost almost as much as my TV, has a VFD, small PLC and is much more useful than my TV.

Volta

Our new washer was more than the tv and it gets used one heck of a lot more. At one time the suggestions for "surge" protection was multi level. Whole house, device and at the tv or whatever.

IMO, it still is. If the voltage can be clamped down at the meter, or the main disconnect, the units on the load side get to work with a lower energy event.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
i doubt those are rated to be used with a device like a washer.
I use them all the time for TV installs . There is little room behind the flat panel for a strip.
I would install a whole house system as a poster suggested.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
i doubt those are rated to be used with a device like a washer.
I use them all the time for TV installs . There is little room behind the flat panel for a strip.
I would install a whole house system as a poster suggested.

Its a 20A industrial grade receptacle - i'm sure it would be fine for a washer. But I also like the idea of a whole house system. Two levels of protection are even better.

When I bought a new front loading washer, I put it on a power strip with surge suppression. A couple of online reviews said they had the control panel go bad, and I thought there was a good chance they were from surges. I thought the washer motor might even generate surges that could take a toll on the control board. But now I think its a DC stepper motor (the tub goes both directions at all speeds), so I'm not sure how much the surge suppressor helps that.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I doubt it will hurt anything to install such a device, at least in general.

If you sleep better at night because of the install, it was probably worth doing.

WIMaster

Well I put my money where my mouth/keyboard is and installed one at my wash machine.
Already have a "whole house" suppressor and have heard that multi-level is best repeatedly.

Personally I hate those plug strips, but yes I own a few. IMO They look like an answer to P Poor Planning and they usually are just that.

Yes the strips are cheaper and easier to replace, they just look bad especially if one makes a living doing electrical work.
I can honestly tell my customers yes I have this in my house and would recommend it. Just my OPINION.

iMuse97

Well I put my money where my mouth/keyboard is and installed one at my wash machine.
Already have a "whole house" suppressor and have heard that multi-level is best repeatedly.

Personally I hate those plug strips, but yes I own a few. IMO They look like an answer to P Poor Planning and they usually are just that.

Yes the strips are cheaper and easier to replace, they just look bad especially if one makes a living doing electrical work.
I can honestly tell my customers yes I have this in my house and would recommend it. Just my OPINION.

Thanks for the update.

Status
Not open for further replies.