Multiwire and GFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boo Boo

Hello Everyone,

I am bringing a 12-3 from a two pole 20 amp breaker to my bathroom, at the first oultlet I am connecting
the balck and pig tailed white to a GFCI protected thermostat for our warm floor and then
I am going out of the box with a 12-2 from the red and white to my next three GFCI receptacles. Is this
going to work? or I am going to have problems with the GFCI thermostat and receptacles not working properly.
Thank You!

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
You have no issue as long as you keep the load side wires of the GFCI seperate from the other circuit for the thermostat. You will pigtail the nuetral before the thermostat and GFCI recepts.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
You only need one GFCI receptacle, it can protect two regular ones on the load side.

Yup forgot that one. I never wire my bathrooms that way. If my bathroom circuit leaves that bath and goes to the next I place a GFCI in each and no load side recepts. I hate getting calls to reset a GFCI on my jobs cus the customer will expect it for free. However I love this stuff on other folks jobs as I now problem charging a small sevice call to reset especially after attemting to get the owner to reset himself over the phone with no lcuk. .:rant:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Basically the neutrals on the load side of the GFCI are fine to tie together. Once you are on the load side of the GFCI the neutrals from the MWBC must be kept separate.

jumper

Yup forgot that one. I never wire my bathrooms that way. If my bathroom circuit leaves that bath and goes to the next I place a GFCI in each and no load side recepts. I hate getting calls to reset a GFCI on my jobs cus the customer will expect it for free. However I love this stuff on other folks jobs as I now problem charging a small sevice call to reset especially after attemting to get the owner to reset himself over the phone with no lcuk. .:rant:

I was thinking that OP was putting all three in one bathroom, otherwise I would put individual ones in each bathroom like you said. Personally I run a single circuit for each bathrooms receptacles if I can.

480sparky

This will not work:

2cirgfirecepMWBC.jpg

You either need to seperate your neutrals after the GFCIs:

2cirgfirecep.jpg

or use a 2-pole GFCI breaker:

2cirgfibrker.jpg

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Hello Everyone,

I am bringing a 12-3 from a two pole 20 amp breaker to my bathroom, at the first oultlet I am connecting
the balck and pig tailed white to a GFCI protected thermostat for our warm floor and then
I am going out of the box with a 12-2 from the red and white to my next three GFCI receptacles. Is this
going to work? or I am going to have problems with the GFCI thermostat and receptacles not working properly.
Thank You!

Yes, this will work as you've described it.

Status
Not open for further replies.