Estwing Ball Peen Hammer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
My first big hammer was an Eswting ball peen, 2 pounder. Bought in 1976. That's what nearly everyone had then. I kept it until about 2003 when it got away from me somehow. I've had a couple of other hammers since then, but I always liked that Estwing best. I've seen them on their website, but not in any stores or supply houses. The other day in HD, I saw them at a distance and started drooling. Got closer & saw they were 24 oz, not 32. I would have bought the 32. The ball peen was best in the world for using the ball end to knock a hole in brick or cinder block & flat end for chisels, lag bolts, etc.

Also miss my Douglas hacksaw that got stolen & my Douglas keyhole saw that got stolen. Both made by Douglas Radiator Co. of Charlotte, NC. Haven't seen either of those in years in any store. The hacksaw especially, was the best one I ever had. Had excellent tension with the top rod. Also easy to store extra blades in top tube.

Anyone else get nostalgic for old tools?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't get excited over hammers. If I were a carpenter maybe but I like a light weight hammer and I will use whatever is around. Estwing as too heavy for my baby arms. :lol:

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I had a good sized screwdriver that I had managed to melt away a portion of the tip just past the end. (One of those things) At the time we were still using a lot of metel romex boxes and that tip was perfect for removing them. Lost it

A 2v milwaukee screwdrive - stolen
My last leather tool pouch - worn out & haven't been happy with any since that one

jmellc

Occupation
I don't get excited over hammers. If I were a carpenter maybe but I like a light weight hammer and I will use whatever is around. Estwing as too heavy for my baby arms. :lol:

I'm no King Kong either, but I did like that 2 pounder. It was better balanced than lots of the shorter 2 pounders around today & very durable with being all metal & shock absorbing nylon handle. I find anything less than 2 pounds is not much good at breaking through something or driving a wedge anchor. 3 pounds is a little much though.

Now I would agree with you when it gets to sledge hammers. My shoulders, arms & hands can't take the stress of a sledge much any more, even the light 8 pounder I carry. I have a good ground rod driver that has relegated the sledge to bottom of the tool box.

jmellc

Occupation
I hear ya. I have not found a leather tool bag (or nylon for that matter) to replace mine either.

I miss the old Kleins. They seemed to have beefier jaws.

I miss the old slim pouch I first bought in 1976. Low profile w/3 outside pockets for strippers, needle nose & dikes. Closest I've seen these days is a Craftsman with 2 outside pockets & a front & rear screwdriver loop. I've gone through 2 of these. I like it a lot, but the old Klein was slightly better.

stevebea

My first big hammer was an Eswting ball peen, 2 pounder. Bought in 1976. That's what nearly everyone had then. I kept it until about 2003 when it got away from me somehow. I've had a couple of other hammers since then, but I always liked that Estwing best. I've seen them on their website, but not in any stores or supply houses. The other day in HD, I saw them at a distance and started drooling. Got closer & saw they were 24 oz, not 32. I would have bought the 32. The ball peen was best in the world for using the ball end to knock a hole in brick or cinder block & flat end for chisels, lag bolts, etc.

Also miss my Douglas hacksaw that got stolen & my Douglas keyhole saw that got stolen. Both made by Douglas Radiator Co. of Charlotte, NC. Haven't seen either of those in years in any store. The hacksaw especially, was the best one I ever had. Had excellent tension with the top rod. Also easy to store extra blades in top tube.

Anyone else get nostalgic for old tools?

Only for my old Yankee screwdriver!:D

jmellc

Occupation
Only for my old Yankee screwdriver!:D

I forgot, I have one of those too, but it doesn't work in reverse any more. I still use it sometimes for installs. I always liked it better than the swivel screwdrivers a lot of guys like.

Somewhere, I still have my old ratchet brace. I haven't used that in 25 years or so. They were mighty good to have handy before battery drills.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I do, I carry five assorted hammers on the truck, each has its purpose. (Cara gets me hammers as Christmas presents:))

I bought my wife a new mop once for Mother's Day. For Father's Day she bought me a shovel and hedge clippers. I said I didn't ask for those, she replied "and I didn't ask for a mop either".:rant:

dhalleron

I have a Douglas Radiator Co keyhole saw handle made out of aluminum. I got it around 1982 and I haven't used it for years. It is in a drawer by my work bench.

Now I prefer some of the jab saws such as the ones Klein or Stanley makes. I even have a cheap wood handle jab saw that has stayed sharp forever.

jmellc

Occupation
I have a Douglas Radiator Co keyhole saw handle made out of aluminum. I got it around 1982 and I haven't used it for years. It is in a drawer by my work bench.

Now I prefer some of the jab saws such as the ones Klein or Stanley makes. I even have a cheap wood handle jab saw that has stayed sharp forever.

Yes, these are much easier to carry & use. The Douglas is a large item for sure. If I still had mine, I probably would not use it day to day. Would keep in truck tool box as a backup. I remember changing blades on the Douglas about twice a year. I doubt anyone having the blades now.

jmellc

Occupation
I bought my wife a new mop once for Mother's Day. For Father's Day she bought me a shovel and hedge clippers. I said I didn't ask for those, she replied "and I didn't ask for a mop either".:rant:

You are a braver man than I. If I gave my wife a mop, the mop would become my tail.:D

stevenje

My last leather tool pouch - worn out & haven't been happy with any since that one

I just had my leather pouch repaired/rebuilt for the umpteenth time. My father gave it to me when I got into this trade in 1974 and he had used it before then. The young guys look at it and just shake their heads.

marti smith

I have my dad's as well, although it was in '89. I wanted a bigger one and so I retired his, hung it up. I little reminder each time I see it of a hint of the goodness passed to me by him in whose footsteps I follow. He has all kinds of good stuff, from the actual Wiggy to crank augers, makes me really thankful for my drill!

Status
Not open for further replies.