unbalanced single-phase load on 3-phase wye secondary

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been having a disagreement with an associate of mine. The subject at hand concerns a small, 3kVA rated gasoline-powered generator. The generator's output is across a transformer secondary (built in) in a wye configuration with 220 & 380V outputs.

I contend that the most the generator can supply, given the ratings of its windings & wiring, and 3-phase math to a single-phase load in a 100% imbalanced condition, connected line-to-line, is 1/3rd of the generators total (3-phase) power rating; or 1kVA. My belief is that it would even be less, due to the imbalance and resulting loss of efficiency. My math has always been to simply divide the total power rating by 1/3rd, regardless of whether the load is connected line-to-line or line-to-neutral. (FYI - the load is an air-compressor; we are well aware of the generator's inability to support the compressor motor's inrush; so this is more of a hypothetical situation.)

My associate believes that because the load wired line-to-line, is across two of the windings, the generator can deliver 2/3rds of its rated power (2kVA) to the load. After first taking that position, my associate lowered his belief to that the generator could put out at least 57.7% (kVA rating/1.732). I believe firstly that the power available across one of the 3-phase transformer's line-to-line connections is equal to the power available across any one of its line-neutral terminals. Secondly, that trying to operate the generator with a load requiring 2/3rds or even 57.7% of its total power rating will cause possible damage to the windings & wiring, as well as severe mechanical instability to the generator and possibly damage its bearings. I can't see how the manufacturer would over-size the windings and wiring so that each one would support 57.7% of the unit's total rating (requiring roughly, the windings & wiring to be sized to support 173% of the unit's total rating (57.7% x 3).

Can anyone provide any thoughts on this? Would the generator be able to put out 2/3rds of its rating to the single-phase load wired line-to-line? 57.7%? Or not even 1/3rd of its rating?

CONTROL FREQ

Well, let's have a look... Just suppose for a minute , you had 480v. Divided by 1/3's of 480v you would get what? like 160v? Then we wouldn't have 480/277v systems... we'd have 480/160v systems. Right? I don't know much, but I DO know fractions aren't all their cracked up to be when it comes to 3 phases of electricity... It's best to get a BIG book and a hot cup of tea, and stay in for the night.;) You have the power to prove yourself, OR your associate wrong (or right):roll: (sorry guess I'm no help!)

Volta

I have been having a disagreement with an associate of mine. The subject at hand concerns a small, 3kVA rated gasoline-powered generator. The generator's output is across a transformer secondary (built in) in a wye configuration with 220 & 380V outputs.

I contend that the most the generator can supply, given the ratings of its windings & wiring, and 3-phase math to a single-phase load in a 100% imbalanced condition, connected line-to-line, is 1/3rd of the generators total (3-phase) power rating; or 1kVA. My belief is that it would even be less, due to the imbalance and resulting loss of efficiency. My math has always been to simply divide the total power rating by 1/3rd, regardless of whether the load is connected line-to-line or line-to-neutral. (FYI - the load is an air-compressor; we are well aware of the generator's inability to support the compressor motor's inrush; so this is more of a hypothetical situation.)

My associate believes that because the load wired line-to-line, is across two of the windings, the generator can deliver 2/3rds of its rated power (2kVA) to the load. After first taking that position, my associate lowered his belief to that the generator could put out at least 57.7% (kVA rating/1.732). I believe firstly that the power available across one of the 3-phase transformer's line-to-line connections is equal to the power available across any one of its line-neutral terminals. Secondly, that trying to operate the generator with a load requiring 2/3rds or even 57.7% of its total power rating will cause possible damage to the windings & wiring, as well as severe mechanical instability to the generator and possibly damage its bearings. I can't see how the manufacturer would over-size the windings and wiring so that each one would support 57.7% of the unit's total rating (requiring roughly, the windings & wiring to be sized to support 173% of the unit's total rating (57.7% x 3).

Can anyone provide any thoughts on this? Would the generator be able to put out 2/3rds of its rating to the single-phase load wired line-to-line? 57.7%? Or not even 1/3rd of its rating?

I get 57.8% too.

3kVA / 380 volts L-L / 1.73 = 4.56 amps per leg.
4.56 amps x 380 volts single phase = 1.733 kVA.
1.733 kVA / 3 kVA = 57.8%.

Welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

CONTROL FREQ

I get 57.8% too.

3kVA / 380 volts L-L / 1.73 = 4.56 amps per leg.
4.56 amps x 380 volts single phase = 1.733 kVA.
1.733 kVA / 3 kVA = 57.8%.

Welcome to the forum.

Guess I shoulda just said "ask volta"!:lol: I think I drink to much kool-aid sometimes!:bye::sleep:

I'll second that.

I can agree that the math works out that way.

However, are you guys saying that one can take a delta-wye transformer, and put a single-phase load equal to 57.7% of the transformer's 3-phase kVA rating, 100% unbalanced, across two of its lines, without consequence?

I have a feeling its not this simple and may be even worse with small generators.

Volta

However, are you guys saying that one can take a delta-wye transformer, and put a single-phase load equal to 57.7% of the transformer's 3-phase kVA rating, 100% unbalanced, across two of its lines, without consequence?
I think it would be ok.
I have a feeling its not this simple and may be even worse with small generators.
Maybe, I don't know why it would be, though.

Smart $

Esteemed Member

Generally speaking, each winding of a 3kVA 3? trannie is rated for 1/3 the total kVA. Why would there be a problem loading two of the windings to a little less than 2/3 of the total rating?

Status
Not open for further replies.