Conduits attach to ceiling inside O.R.

Status
Not open for further replies.

anbm

There is no equipment boom/column inside operating room, is it legal to run a 5 feet of EMT from ceiling down and attach outlet box at the end of this conduit... so doctor can plug the equipment cord into the outlet?

Because its a receptacle outlet box. It has to be securely fastened and can not be supported by the conduit alone.

The proper way, IMHO, to tackle this situation is with a (code-compliant) flexible pendant receptacle. Appleton & Oz-Gedney (among others) make some good solutions:

http://www.emersonindustrial.com/en...ip_connector/aluminum_cord_grip_connector.pdf
(See the third page.)

http://www.emersonindustrial.com/en.../AEC_MC007_Bus_Drop_Cable_Supports_Clamps.pdf

Volta

Because its a receptacle outlet box. It has to be securely fastened and can not be supported by the conduit alone.

The proper way, IMHO, to tackle this situation is with a (code-compliant) flexible pendant receptacle....

Which will need to have a sheath rated as an equipment grounding conductor. 517.13(A).

So a pendant, yes, but maybe not so flexible.

How about a pair of rigid metal conduits supporting an FS box?

jumper

How about a pair of rigid metal conduits supporting an FS box?

OP said 5 feet from ceiling.

314.23(F) Raceway-Supported Enclosures, with Devices, Luminaires,
or Lampholders. An enclosure that contains a
device(s), other than splicing devices, or supports a luminaire(
s), lampholder, or other equipment and is supported by
entering raceways shall not exceed 1650 cm3 (100 in.3) in
size. It shall have threaded entries or have hubs identified for
the purpose. It shall be supported by two or more conduits
threaded wrenchtight into the enclosure or hubs. Each conduit
shall be secured within 450 mm (18 in.) of the enclosure.

Volta

OP said 5 feet from ceiling.

314.23(F) Raceway-Supported Enclosures, with Devices, Luminaires,
or Lampholders. An enclosure that contains a
device(s), other than splicing devices, or supports a luminaire(
s), lampholder, or other equipment and is supported by
entering raceways shall not exceed 1650 cm3 (100 in.3) in
size. It shall have threaded entries or have hubs identified for
the purpose. It shall be supported by two or more conduits
threaded wrenchtight into the enclosure or hubs. Each conduit
shall be secured within 450 mm (18 in.) of the enclosure.

Ah, that's true. Then some closer point of support is needed. Dropping strut could suffice, and in fact may be usable as the wiring method itself.

Or a less likely solution could be a Unilet of a size large enough to accommodate a device, and use a 314.23(F) exception, if it can be argued that it is an exception to both the number of conduits and the distance of strapping, followed-up by a quick 344.30 "...do not permit ready fastening..." clause. That's pushing it, though

More likely to use the strut, as closer support or the method itself.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Ah, that's true. Then some closer point of support is needed. Dropping strut could suffice, and in fact may be usable as the wiring method itself.

Or a less likely solution could be a Unilet of a size large enough to accommodate a device, and use a 314.23(F) exception, if it can be argued that it is an exception to both the number of conduits and the distance of strapping, followed-up by a quick 344.30 "...do not permit ready fastening..." clause. That's pushing it, though

More likely to use the strut, as closer support or the method itself.

What do you mean by the statement above in red? I can't get that in my head.:?

anbm

How's about installing twist lock receptacle at the ceiling and use a retractable cord to plug into it?
(if retractable won't be counted as part of emergency circuit rather than an equipment)

jumper

Could 334.30.(B)(3) be used here?

Doubt it.

(3) Exposed vertical risers from industrial machinery or
fixed equipment shall be permitted to be supported at
intervals not exceeding 6 m (20 ft) if the conduit is
made up with threaded couplings, the conduit is supported
and securely fastened at the top and bottom of
the riser, and no other means of intermediate support is
readily available

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Well shoot. I might see a hospital as an industrial site. There is a lot of steel and brick and concrete and asphalt at every hospital I have ever been to.

What are you doing out of bed at 2:00AM anyway? It is only midnight for me so I don't have to explain to anybody.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
Doubt it.

(3) Exposed vertical risers from industrial machinery or
fixed equipment shall be permitted to be supported at
intervals not exceeding 6 m (20 ft) if the conduit is
made up with threaded couplings, the conduit is supported
and securely fastened at the top and bottom of
the riser, and no other means of intermediate support is
readily available

I think this would be fine IF it were what he wanted. The OP isn't talking about RMC going down to terminate in a piece of fixed equipment. He wants a receptacle available to plug into.

it does say "or fixed equipment" which leaves me to think this would be fine if applicable.

Volta

What do you mean by the statement above in red? I can't get that in my head.:?

Article 384. Unistrut, or similar is/can be listed for use as a raceway. It can be pretty handy.

I think this would be fine IF it were what he wanted. The OP isn't talking about RMC going down to terminate in a piece of fixed equipment. He wants a receptacle available to plug into.

it does say "or fixed equipment" which leaves me to think this would be fine if applicable.

We just need to affix the receptacle to something... but we don't need the full 20' exception, just 5 or 8 feet or so.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
We just need to affix the receptacle to something... but we don't need the full 20' exception, just 5 or 8 feet or so.

In my humble opinion, using that exception is really streching it. THis isn't industrial equipment or fixed equipment. Iin both those cases, the conduit run would have a fixed support at the equipment. Here it terminates in a receptacle with no other support.

Something to keep in mind here, OR's are very sterile areas. You can't create any place for bacteria to hide. So unistrut would be out, and I'm not sure how well recieved exposed conduit would be.

They use the stainless steel booms for a reason. Can't you use a stainless steel enclosure that goes up through the ceiling, and is sealed around the ceiling?

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician

In my humble opinion, using that exception is really streching it.

If he had something to support the receptacle with there would be no need for the exception or the thread in the first place probably. That exception is certainly for conduit terminated in the equipment IMHO.

Volta

If he had something to support the receptacle with there would be no need for the exception or the thread in the first place probably. That exception is certainly for conduit terminated in the equipment IMHO.

But the exception is only for the distance between supports.

The equipment (box/outlet) still has to be 'fixed' to something.

Status
Not open for further replies.