Conduit Install By Another Contractor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
If you has thousands and thousands of conduits installed by another concractor and you were to pull the cables through would this present any more of a labor/time consuming difficulty if you would have been the one to install the conduits? Thanks.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
If you has thousands and thousands of conduits installed by another concractor and you were to pull the cables through would this present any more of a labor/time consuming difficulty if you would have been the one to install the conduits? Thanks.

Yes, you saved all of the time and labor of installing the conduits.:roll:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Your labor may be higher for two reasons. First your installers did not install the conduit and don't know the layout and pull points as well as if they had installed it themselves. Second, it may not have been installed in a layout that makes it easy to pull.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Your labor may be higher for two reasons. First your installers did not install the conduit and don't know the layout and pull points as well as if they had installed it themselves. Second, it may not have been installed in a layout that makes it easy to pull.

Thanks Don, I ws thinking along those lines. What layouts create a more difficult pull? THe guys pulling the cable would get as-builts so theyt would know pull points etc., correct? THanks again.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Maybe or maybe not. Generally I agree with Don for the reasons that he gave but there is one variable that could save you labor. That's if your company is really poor at conduit layout, planning and installation but good at pulling wire.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Maybe or maybe not. Generally I agree with Don for the reasons that he gave but there is one variable that could save you labor. That's if your company is really poor at conduit layout, planning and installation but good at pulling wire.

Indeed!!!

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Thanks Don, I ws thinking along those lines. What layouts create a more difficult pull? THe guys pulling the cable would get as-builts so theyt would know pull points etc., correct? THanks again.
The time to plan the pull is when the conduit is being installed. In my opinion it is always better when the same crew that installed the conduit is pulling the wire. Even with drawings it is not the same as having the guys when ran the conduit pull the wire.

Have not found non electrician to ream conduit, have found over 400 degrees of bends in one run. conduit filled with pieces of rock from construction. if bidding maybe use a mandrel or pig to make sure your bends are with in code, also an old CO2 fire extinguisher blown down the conduit will help in locating the other end.

jumper

Have not found non electrician to ream conduit, have found over 400 degrees of bends in one run. conduit filled with pieces of rock from construction. if bidding maybe use a mandrel or pig to make sure your bends are with in code, also an old CO2 fire extinguisher blown down the conduit will help in locating the other end.

Huh?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Sometimes called a ball and brush which is pulled through the conduit to clean it as well as the check if field bends are not too tight.

I find the toughest pulls are the ones that go up a wall, have to offset out to get around a beam, then ninety, then go a long ways across the ceiling, then do the same thing back down again. Those pulls are miserable even to get a fish-tape through because of the 90 after a long straight section. Using two 45s instead of a 90 can make a pull much easier.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator

huh 2

mlnk

Previous"electrician" installed emt cut with a dull pipe cutter. It stripped the wire. Had to take apart all connections and ream. Lucky it was T and M.

Status
Not open for further replies.