Can anyone tell me what this is

Status
Not open for further replies.

eric_v1

I was in a customers house to look at doing a panel change and she showed me this plug coming out from the vent hole in the floor (not in the plenum) and I have absolutely no idea what it is. I at first thought radio or TV wire.

Attachments

• imagejpeg_2.jpg
    imagejpeg_2.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 0

iwire

Staff member
Likely a wire to supply a speaker.

Those are banana plugs

You have a two pole model but it would likely fit this speaker

Banana_plugs_speaker.jpg

Volta

Well, the plug is a pair of 'banana' connectors. They are not standardized, that is, they are used for anything you want. It is the same connector that many multimeters use. It could be to an antenna rotor, or who knows what.

iwire

Staff member
Well, the plug is a pair of 'banana' connectors. They are not standardized, that is, they are used for anything you want. It is the same connector that many multimeters use. It could be to an antenna rotor, or who knows what.

I agree with you that it could be anything. :cool:

But they are pretty standardized on audio gear.

For instance this amps outputs accept banana jacks.
vsx_2016av_s_rueck.jpg

mivey

That terminal discolorization sure makes me wonder if it was used for its intended purpose.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I was in a customers house to look at doing a panel change and she showed me this plug coming out from the vent hole in the floor (not in the plenum) and I have absolutely no idea what it is. I at first thought radio or TV wire.

If there is a basement, look for some speakers or some type of amp. Like others said, it could be anything. Looks like lamp cord and a lot of people use that for speaker wire. Might even be for a doorbell or intercom.

hurk27

Many bench test equipment used the tandem banana plugs like in the photo, but as was said I find them very commonly used for speakers now days, My electronics box has a bunch of those in the photo, and many other types, including right angle tandems with red and black on each side, the list is endless to how many different configurations they come in.

Status
Not open for further replies.