Estwing Ball Peen Hammer

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJ Conner

Hammers

Hammers

If the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

If you buy Craftsman tools at Sears you may want to investigate a little. If the tool just says "Craftsman" and doesn't say "USA" or made in USA it's made in China.
I went to buy my son a Dog Bone Wrench, it was hanging on the rack with a plastic holder that said "Made in China". I didn't buy it.
I went in the store a couple of months later and they had taken them all out of the plactic holders and put them in a bin.
I called Sears and got the dope on tools as stated above.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
She's a keeper!

One of the first gifts my wife ever bought me was an 18 volt Dewalt hammer drill, the first hammer drill I ever owned. Right then I knew I was about as lucky as a guy could get! :thumbsup:

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I just had my leather pouch repaired/rebuilt for the umpteenth time. My father gave it to me when I got into this trade in 1974 and he had used it before then. The young guys look at it and just shake their heads.

They don't yet understand the value of something old & loved. I didn't much either when I was a young punk. Things grow on us though. Maybe later on they will appreciate such things. Then again, they were born into a world of cheap throwaway everything. Time will tell.

jmellc

Occupation
I have my dad's as well, although it was in '89. I wanted a bigger one and so I retired his, hung it up. I little reminder each time I see it of a hint of the goodness passed to me by him in whose footsteps I follow. He has all kinds of good stuff, from the actual Wiggy to crank augers, makes me really thankful for my drill!

This reminds me of going into attics with lots of knob/tube wiring. Most of it I've ever seen had neatly drilled holes, lined up well. I'm sure brace & bit were used on nearly all of them. Portable drills came along when, about the late 1930's? Using a brace & getting a straight hole between joists on 16" c is not rocket science but is a fair amount of work, I'm sure. I have my brace from the 70's. Was on my extended tool list from Watson. I used it some, usually for 4 or 5 holes at most. All day drilling joists in a bigger house would have to wear someone out. My hat is off to electricians all the way back. They sure worked hard & did excellent work.

jmellc

Occupation
Hammers? I thought that's what the sides on linesmans' pliers were for.

Of course, for nails & staples or lazy helpers.:D But it takes a 2 pounder to pound a chisel, knock a hole in cinder block or drive wedge anchors.

jmellc

Occupation
If the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

If you buy Craftsman tools at Sears you may want to investigate a little. If the tool just says "Craftsman" and doesn't say "USA" or made in USA it's made in China.
I went to buy my son a Dog Bone Wrench, it was hanging on the rack with a plastic holder that said "Made in China". I didn't buy it.
I went in the store a couple of months later and they had taken them all out of the plactic holders and put them in a bin.
I called Sears and got the dope on tools as stated above.

I buy very little Craftsman any more. The pouch was a recent exception. Most all their screwdrivers will break tips within a week or so. Lots of their cutting pliers of any type do no align well. I once had a pair of Craftsman channelocks that bound up terribly. I had 2 different Craftsman drills. Bought a battery for the 14 volt, fit the drill but not the charger. I used to get my small control screwdrivers there because they were hard to find anywhere else. Now I can get them more places.

In general, Sears is a messy place to do business. We have had Kenmore appliances that I would call for parts on. If I had a question on a part #, the phone rep said she could not reveal part #'s to me that had changed or been updated.

jmellc

Occupation
I just had my leather pouch repaired/rebuilt for the umpteenth time. My father gave it to me when I got into this trade in 1974 and he had used it before then. The young guys look at it and just shake their heads.

If I had time, I'd like to buy a leather kit & try to make my own pouch. I'd also like to make custom bucket carrier. I had a good liner type a few years ago, but it tore all up. I'd like to make one with PVC tubes inside, aligned to get all handle tips just below the top & allow a lid.

Status
Not open for further replies.