Article 702

Status
Not open for further replies.

RESI

Hello to all- In regards to the 2008 NEC, Article 702.5 (2) (a)

It says: The standby source shall be capable of supplying the full load that is transferred by the automatic transfer equipment.

I welcome all answers but I am particularly interested in answers from inspectors. Does this mean that a residential standby generator with a automatic transfer switch must be capable of supplying all load connected at one time?

:?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yup. Unless you have a load shedding or other automatic device to limit the potential for overloading the generator.

iMuse97

Hello to all- In regards to the 2008 NEC, Article 702.5 (2) (a)

It says: The standby source shall be capable of supplying the full load that is transferred by the automatic transfer equipment.

I welcome all answers but I am particularly interested in answers from inspectors. Does this mean that a residential standby generator with a automatic transfer switch must be capable of supplying all load connected at one time?
:?

Would you care for a response from someone who has tried to overload a small jennie just to see what would happen?

Anyway, probably not gonna get that standby genset installed before the rain? :D BTW, FWIW, I agree with the preceding gentlemen. The Standby capacity requirement is a basic design feature so that you don't ruin your equipment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.