What happened to the grounding screw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I went to a hardware store and bought a couple Levition three way switches.

There was no grounding screw on either switch.

So when I got to my computer I checked Leviton's site. Their pic of a three way shows a ground screw present.

Is there a rational explanation of this somewhere?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

So when I got to my computer I checked Leviton's site. Their pic of a three way shows a ground screw present.

Sounds like either mis-packaging or a MFG. defect.

Take your meter and see if it's truly a 3-way.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Is it possible that they're really old stock? I have a few boxes of old switches without ground screws.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Sounds like either mis-packaging or a MFG. defect.

Take your meter and see if it's truly a 3-way.

Too late. They have been installed and work fine.

EDIT: I called a friend that lives near the store. If there are any more I told him to get them so we could take pictures of them.

I am not ruling out the possibility of a counterfeit product.

Last edited:

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Leviton has a great tech support line. 800-824-3005. I suspect they will want the orginal package, which you no longer have, and they may need some numbers off of the switch. Keep us posted.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

The picture on the Leviton site of the 1423-ICP switch does show a grounding type switch but it is a non-grounding type device. I think some other manufacturers still offer non-grounding switches as well.

Roger

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The picture on the Leviton site of the 1423-ICP switch does show a grounding type switch but it is a non-grounding type device. I think some other manufacturers still offer non-grounding switches as well.

Roger

Go to this pass and seymour page and there are a slew of non grounded switches. I guess if you mount the switches directly to a grounded metal box then you don't need it.

lauraj

If it were a replacement with no grounding means in the box I suppose it would be permitted, but I don't see how it could be for a new installation. 404.9(B) requires equipment grounding conductors to attach to the switches.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If it were a replacement with no grounding means in the box I suppose it would be permitted, but I don't see how it could be for a new installation. 404.9(B) requires equipment grounding conductors to attach to the switches.

Not if the box is metallic and grounded, then the 6-32 mounting screws are sufficient for grounding a switch. {404.9(B)(1)}

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
What amazes me is that they even bother to make it without the ground. Why bother-- I don't understand the extra inventory.

Status
Not open for further replies.