Metal Conduit ran into PVC Box???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pizza

I'm running EMT along the side of the house to a 4X4X4 PVC Junction box. It is for a septic system. The homeowner demanded that I use EMT instead of PVC. I used a PVC box because it gave me the ability to drill out knockouts where I wanted them, so it would look nice when I accommodated three UF's for the septic system and my pipe. Anyway, is there a problem with running EMT into a PVC Junction box? Do I have to bond that pipe to my EGC at the PVC box? even though I bonded it at the 1900 box inside the basement.

Also, The septic mound system will be hard wired in the PVC box, do I have to GFI protect?

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If your EMT is properly installed in a grounded 1900 box, it is grounded and there is no need to bond it at the PVC Box.
There may be some controversy about the receptacle. If it falls under the locations described in 210.8, such as outdoors, then some will say GFCI.
In this area, receptacles installed in a PVC box for such uses as sewage/sump pumps are allowed not to be GFCI if the box has a cover that requires tools to open, but, in the end it may be an AHJ call.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I used a PVC box because it gave me the ability to drill out knockouts where I wanted them,/QUOTE]

I'd rather drill ko's in a metal box, PVC boxes are smaller inside and often have ridges etc inside that must be avoided, also sometimes have trouble with threads on some connectors too short for lockring.

Pizza

If your EMT is properly installed in a grounded 1900 box, it is grounded and there is no need to bond it at the PVC Box.
There may be some controversy about the receptacle. If it falls under the locations described in 210.8, such as outdoors, then some will say GFCI.
In this area, receptacles installed in a PVC box for such uses as sewage/sump pumps are allowed not to be GFCI if the box has a cover that requires tools to open, but, in the end it may be an AHJ call.

There is no receptacle, its hardwired.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
314.3 Nonmetallic Boxes.
Nonmetallic boxes shall be permitted only with open wiring on insulators, concealed knob-and-tube wiring, cabled wiring methods with entirely nonmetallic sheaths, flexible cords, and nonmetallic raceways.

Exception No. 1: Where internal bonding means are provided between all entries, nonmetallic boxes shall be permitted to be used with metal raceways or metal-armored cables.

Exception No. 2: Where integral bonding means with a provision for attaching an equipment bonding jumper inside the box are provided between all threaded entries in nonmetallic boxes listed for the purpose, nonmetallic boxes shall be permitted to be used with metal raceways or metal-armored cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.