Generator question

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrancisDoody

Friend called and said his generator stopped running after twenty minutes. 15 KW unit by Briggs and Stratton. The panel indicator gave a error number and displayed low voltage warning. What could cause a low voltage warning? Seems to me the generator is not creating enough RPM's to produce the proper voltage. This could be a fuel problem. Fuel type: Natural gas. However this generator was installed about two years ago and exercised weekly since that time. Voltage regulation problems could cause a shut down as well I guess. Any other ideas?

Thank you
Fran

FrancisDoody

Just went and took a look at the generator. Runs great. Starts right up and produces between 85.4 and 86.0 volts phase to ground and about 170 when checking phase to phase. Throttle set to run at about 3750 or enough to produce about 60 hertz. The voltage regulator will need to be checked once the storm passes. Thanks

satcom

Overloaded or under feed, it is not as easy as total load, when your dealing with generators, some equipment start up can pull it down and also the natural gas supply not be supplying the proper volume.

arnettda

I had this problem on a 17KW generac and it was a software problem.

UP][/SUP]

:slaphead:
Friend called and said his generator stopped running after twenty minutes. 15 KW unit by Briggs and Stratton. The panel indicator gave a error number and displayed low voltage warning. What could cause a low voltage warning? Seems to me the generator is not creating enough RPM's to produce the proper voltage. This could be a fuel problem. Fuel type: Natural gas. However this generator was installed about two years ago and exercised weekly since that time. Voltage regulation problems could cause a shut down as well I guess. Any other ideas?

Thank you
Fran

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Just went and took a look at the generator. Runs great. Starts right up and produces between 85.4 and 86.0 volts phase to ground and about 170 when checking phase to phase. Throttle set to run at about 3750 or enough to produce about 60 hertz. The voltage regulator will need to be checked once the storm passes. Thanks

Does sound like a bad regulator, Briggs is the same as Generac on the small generators.

mtfallsmikey

I had to buy a new control module for my 8 KW Briggs, bought it used, lost the field due to non-use, but it does not like high inrush startups like the rest of them do.

A friend is getting ready to purchase a Siemens 17KW LP gas powered generator/auto transfer switch setup, transfer switch/panel is microprocessor controlled, with load-shedding features, anyone installed these?

Status
Not open for further replies.