50A ,208/230V receptacle near a sink in a commercial kitchen

Status
Not open for further replies.

sticko

Is there anything that prohibits a 50A, 208/230 volt receptacle near a commercial kithen sink? I have a convection oven that is plug and cord connected ,and the recptacle box is surface mounted to the metal work table with a sink. The boxes and conduit is grounded/bonded and a regular device plate is installed.
I don't like the install, but I don't see anything in the NEC that prohibits or requires GFCI protection. Any help?
I

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Is there anything that prohibits a 50A, 208/230 volt receptacle near a commercial kithen sink? I have a convection oven that is plug and cord connected ,and the recptacle box is surface mounted to the metal work table with a sink. The boxes and conduit is grounded/bonded and a regular device plate is installed.
I don't like the install, but I don't see anything in the NEC that prohibits or requires GFCI protection. Any help?
I

Is a GFCI ever required for a receptacle over 125V?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Is a GFCI ever required for a receptacle over 125V?

On Temporaries, I beleive it applies to all outlets:

Art 590.6(B):
(B) Use of Other Outlets. Receptacles other than 125-volt, single-phase, 15-, 20-, and 30-ampere receptacles shall have protection in accordance with (B)(1) or the assured equipment grounding conductor program in accordance with (B)(2).

kwired

Electron manager

Art 590.6(B):
(B) Use of Other Outlets. Receptacles other than 125-volt, single-phase, 15-, 20-, and 30-ampere receptacles shall have protection in accordance with (B)(1) or the assured equipment grounding conductor program in accordance with (B)(2).

Interesting, when did that change. I know you used to have to provide GFCI for temporary receptacles up to (I believe) 50 amp 240 volt single phase. The way that is worded now I would assume that even if you had a 20 amp 480 volt three phase temporary receptacle it would require GFCI protection. Is there even an available GFCI for such an installation? I don't want to know the cost if there is.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Interesting, when did that change. I know you used to have to provide GFCI for temporary receptacles up to (I believe) 50 amp 240 volt single phase. The way that is worded now I would assume that even if you had a 20 amp 480 volt three phase temporary receptacle it would require GFCI protection. Is there even an available GFCI for such an installation? I don't want to know the cost if there is.

It's actually been in there for several cycles. Took me awhile to get the temp power companies to catch up. Most knew what it said, but would wait until I called it before they changed out the breakers.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

Art 590.6(B):

How does the "or" choice figure into things?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
How does the "or" choice figure into things?

The "equipment ground program" is a real PITA, once most supers here what it says, they decide that it's better to install the GFCI's. Read 590.6(B)(2).

Had one guy argue that the building power didn't need to be GFCI for construction and that even if it did he didn't want to pay for the recepts, so I gave him the option and he took it. He must have called me three times that week asking if he could just put in the GFCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.