occupancy sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eprice

agreed in dwellings it has to have a manual override switch on it but in other than dwelling it doesn't

The International Energy Code which is adopted in much of the country in Section 505.2.1 requires a manual control. IMO a manual override would suffice.

eprice

Where would I find that in the NEC? :?

In many jurisdictions (as is the case in Utah) the IRC rather than the NEC will govern the electrical installation in a single family home. Where this is the case, Section E3903.2 will require the manual override in habitable spaces (but not in bathrooms).

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
agreed in dwellings it has to have a manual override switch on it but in other than dwelling it doesn't

Where would I find that in the NEC? :?

210.70(A) Dwelling Units.
(1) Habitable Rooms. At least one wall switch?controlled
lighting outlet shall be installed in every habitable room
and bathroom.
Exception No. 1: In other than kitchens and bathrooms,
one or more receptacles controlled by a wall switch shall
be permitted in lieu of lighting outlets.
Exception No. 2: Lighting outlets shall be permitted to be
controlled by occupancy sensors that are (1) in addition to
wall switches or (2) located at a customary wall switch
location and equipped with a manual override that will
allow the sensor to function as a wall switch.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
210.70(A) Dwelling Units. (1) Habitable Rooms. At least one wall switch?controlled lighting outlet shall be installed in every habitable room and bathroom.
That does not prohibit us from installing a second light that is controlled only by an occupancy sensor. I can see some advantage in having a ceiling light (for general illumination) controlled only by an occupancy sensor, and a vanity light controlled by a manual switch.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
That does not prohibit us from installing a second light that is controlled only by an occupancy sensor. I can see some advantage in having a ceiling light (for general illumination) controlled only by an occupancy sensor, and a vanity light controlled by a manual switch.

Your right, I was going on the assumption we were talking about a single light based on the OP.
But yes I agree if you install a separate light that complies with the rule I posted you can also install one controlled by the occupancy sensor only. Super job Charlie!

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The NEC does not require it to have a switch. The owner may want one anyway, but that is between you and the owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.