grainger

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnettda

I just signed up for an account or at least filled out a credit app. Do many people use them for everyday electrical supplies or more for specialty items?
Thanks

John120/240

The two contractors where I have worked use Grainger for speciality items. We had the supply

house deliver everyday items to the shop or job site. Go to Grainger for motors, big exhaust

fans, belts & sheaves. If you need it, they probably have it.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Their pricey on everyday electrical items, especially light bulbs, but they are cheaper on most control items such as pushbuttons and the like, also they will have them instock, as most supply houses do not stock any, other than in heavy industrial areas. In fact it's getting hard to find a supply house that stocks anything larger than 3/0 wire in stock. Sure they can get it for you the next day, but that doesn't work too well if you do any kind of service work.

bpk

From my experience Grainger has awesome customer service and are knowledgeable about what they sell. They may be more expensive but in some cases its worth it, in my opinion. We dont buy everything from them, but do quite a bit, there return policy is always no questions asked also. It wouldnt hurt to ask for better priceing if you are going to do alot with them.

Last edited:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Most everything at Grainger is a lot less expensive elsewhere if you know where to look, especially if you can wait a day or two.

But they often stock stuff that others in the area don't.

McMaster is usually less expensive for the stuff I buy, but has to be shipped. In fact, McMaster is sometimes less expensive for some things than the local electrical supply houses. But, it is hit or miss.

hockeyoligist2

We use them very often, so we get about 20% off of the book prices on most items. We buy a lot of small motors and heaters from them. If you have an oddball item they can usually cross reference it to the brands they handle also. That saves a lot of time and legwork.

krisinjersey

We love Grainger

We love Grainger

We got a call a few months ago from our "new" inside rep. She handles everything from the specialty to common stuff. In fact they we're low bid on a $50k explosion proof lighting project we have coming up. We are currently averaging 40-60% below the big book or online price. We move almost $150k with them a year so they're not getting all that much from us, but having an inside rep has made them a viable option.

mtfallsmikey

I've been pretty much locked in to Grainger for everything, and use SiteStuff (purchasing consortium) because a lot of property mgt. companies are getting away from issuing credit cards out, and maintaining open accounts with any type of wholesalers, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, and the like. I think the last time I bought 11B boxes from Grainger/S.S., I paid around $7.00/each.

Strife

We have had an account with Grainger for 20+ years. Very handy for hard to find items. If no one has it chances are Grainger will, and if they don't have it at this branch, they sure have it at some other branch and can get it in a day or two.
As far as regular items?
Just checked their site and #10Thhn is listed for $250.00. I checked that because I just bought today a roll of #10 for $114.00.
I know Grainger gives a discount based on volume purchased, but even with a 50% discount, it's still more than the going price. Similar for 1/2" EMT. Their list is $47.8 while I'm pretty sure I bought last week 100 feet at 20 some. So again, even a 50% discount is still more.
Every now and then I have to tell my customers: "I can get it for this price today from grainger or I can get it for half the price in 4-5 days". I had a few situation where the customer was willing to pay to have installed THAT day.
I liked them better when they had the bold price for wholesale and the other for retail (the bold was about 30% off the listed price, so it brought it very close to being competitive).
One last thing: their customer service is second to none. I love it, they definitely take care of their customers. I stopped in today to buy couple cord grips for a job. They only had the 1-1/4" ones instead of the 1" that would have worked. The price difference was about 7 dollars each, so I mentioned to the salesman the fact that I'm forced to buy the 1-1/4" because they didn't have the 1" and without blinking the guy changed to price to match the 1" basket.

I just signed up for an account or at least filled out a credit app. Do many people use them for everyday electrical supplies or more for specialty items?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.