Power Generation in Afghanistan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently working in Afghanistan. I have four MEP12 CUMMINS units. 750KW EACH. When i run in single operation I get no ground faults, but as soon as I parallel another unit online I start getting hit with ground faults and its taking out my current boost modauls out.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
To be clear about the use of terms, a "ground fault" is a connection between a hot conductor and planet Earth. If you didn't have one before you paralleled the generators, then you didn't have one afterwards either. Something else is happening. What are the symptoms? Does the alarm system report a ground fault? Do the breakers simply trip? I gather that this has caused some equipment or component failures, but I do not know what components you are talking about. Can you explain?

Is it possible that there is something going wrong in the paralleling equipment? Perhaps an out-of-synchronization closure? Are the generators wired the same way (no differences in phase rotation, grounding, connections)? Is the oncoming generator properly prepared for the paralleling operation (i.e., running at a very slightly higher speed and with a slightly higher voltage than the on-line machine)?

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
First thing to check is make sure the CT's being used for droop or cross current system are wired correctly, if the CT's are reverse connected it will cause a rise in generated voltage as line current increases and circulating current can increase rapidly with the high probability the breaker will trip.

It could also be neutral related if each of the generators is grounded, because of circulating currents. I have seen this before but it was when a large DEG was paralleled with a gas turbine. But same principle.

CAT has a good paper on this but I can't find it online otherwise I would provide a link.

power generation in Afghanistan

power generation in Afghanistan

no breakers trip, but its killing my current boost moduals. Also i always get ground fault indicator light, but the light only comes on while running in parallel mode and not single operation. i'm checking my connections like you said. and also i'm taking your advice about my incoming genset.

Status
Not open for further replies.