GFI protection for 277 lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a GFI protection device that would work for 277 volt commerail lighting fixtures. Is so can you tell me who to call square D or something like this. We have 277 lighting over open salt water vats and need to protect the employees from any electrical shocked if they have any part of there bodies in salt water and touch the lighting fixtures.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Is there a GFI protection device that would work for 277 volt commerail lighting fixtures. Is so can you tell me who to call square D or something like this. We have 277 lighting over open salt water vats and need to protect the employees from any electrical shocked if they have any part of there bodies in salt water and touch the lighting fixtures.

Wouldn't the normal means of protection be via distance?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
... We have 277 lighting over open salt water vats and need to protect the employees from any electrical shocked if they have any part of there bodies in salt water and touch the lighting fixtures.
GFCIs do not prevent shocks, they only limit their duration. A properly installed EGC will limit the potential for shock. If the EGC is of the correct size, is correctly installed and is in good condition, the only time there would be a potential shock hazard would be when there is a high current fault. There will be a voltage drop on the EGC under high current conditions that could result in a shock hazard, but that hazard will only be there until the OCPD opens the circuit

The fixtures would need to be marine grade and that itself should provide adequate protection with proper bonding. Of course you can go the extra mile and install GFCI http://www.bender.org/gfci_number.aspx like this.

hurk27

Is there a GFI protection device that would work for 277 volt commercial lighting fixtures. Is so can you tell me who to call square D or something like this. We have 277 lighting over open salt water vats and need to protect the employees from any electrical shocked if they have any part of there bodies in salt water and touch the lighting fixtures.

Sounds like Kelp farm with UV lights? If so those lights are close to the vats

Leviton did have a 6ma GFCI that had a large donut on the back to run the circuit you want to protect through and had dry contacts to switch a relay or 20 amp load but it would have to be fed from a 120 volt circuit for the electronics.

Status
Not open for further replies.