Incomplete Work.....inspection ready?

Status
Not open for further replies.

euclid43

Is it possible to get successful whole hourse inspection if kitchen is not finished? I am rewiring everything, and the owner isn't remotely close to finishing the kitchen, and the AHJ doesn't do partials.

renosteinke

Sure, go ahead. Tell the AHJ that's he's been overruled by an internet forum.

Really, now .... what part of 'complete' does the customer not understand? It's not like you're short a cover plate; kichens are major remodels.

euclid43

Well,...it's possible the disposal/dishwasher/range or countertop layouts will not meet code. For instance code has disposal cord a certain length, must demonstrate the range outlet is accessible, spark rings, and 2 foot rule on receptacle counter layout, etc.....eh. So, I probably answered my question, eh. If you are my inspector, I just might have to show you this post to pass (smile).

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Is it possible to get successful whole hourse inspection if kitchen is not finished? I am rewiring everything, and the owner isn't remotely close to finishing the kitchen, and the AHJ doesn't do partials.
If you get a separate permit for the kitchen then you can get an inspection on the rest of the house.

growler

Is it possible to get successful whole hourse inspection if kitchen is not finished?

Are we talking about a horse inspection or a house inspection? Or is this one of those horse houses I have herd about. :? "Hourse inspection"?

The truth of the matter is that if you really have the guts for it you can call for a final electrical and there is a small chance the inspector won't even make it to the kitchen. I have had inspections where they didn't even come inside but I wouldn't want to count on it. Do you feel lucky????:angel:

Strife

In the words of the great:"Do you feel lucky punk?"
I don't think ANY AHJ would do partials on that small of a project, but it depends on your relation with the AHJ, and the company relation with the AHJ. Or more to the point yours and the company reputation with the AHJ.
I had situations where I begged the inspector to let us close the walls in the rest of the job without a particular area being finished. He made a note on the permit card and said:"go ahead and close everything except that area"
Not everyone is that nice, but keep in mind: they're humans too, you can catch more flies with a spoon of honey than a gallon a vinegar.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Ahhh you've hit on my favorite response to contractors, "done is done". I once had one ask me, "how finished do I have to be for final?".:slaphead:

The problem with partials is this, I made the agreement with you, not the drywaller and he doesn't want to come back, so who's going to watch him and make sure he stops when he's supposed to.

Strife

My reputation precedes me.
When an inspector gives me a go ahead for a partial close I tell my customer :"The areas that have not passed better be left opened, cause I'll rip the drywall open before the inspector comes. You wanted to close down 90% of the job, I got you that, but you'll not make me look bad in front of the inspector"

Ahhh you've hit on my favorite response to contractors, "done is done". I once had one ask me, "how finished do I have to be for final?".:slaphead:

The problem with partials is this, I made the agreement with you, not the drywaller and he doesn't want to come back, so who's going to watch him and make sure he stops when he's supposed to.

bullheimer

call it in anyway. he might fail the whole thing, or just approve cover for the done parts. worst case scenario is a trip fee.

who wants it you? to get paid? then do the above. if HE wants it, he may somehow delay paying you, then don't. not having it done gives him incentive to get it done and pay you. going ahead with drywalling a certain area gives him other people to pay besides you. i would say not to do it just to force him to get it all done. but if you are hurting for cash and want a portion of the whole payment, do what you gotta do.

Last edited:

kennydmeek

Around here they don't require paint. If you terminate a disposal wire in a box they'll probably let it go....GFIs and Arc Faults/tamper proofs will be critical. Any of that missing it'll be a red sticker...

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Are you known by the inspector, with many good jobs inspected by him?
Most of the inspectors here if they know you well will give some depending on how much is left.

Status
Not open for further replies.