How do I size bond wire to remote meter base?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I have a meter base mounted outside a building with pvc underground into the switchgear. I've been all around Art. 250 and everything I see says to bond service enclosures, etc but doesn't mention how to size anything from what I see. Searched the site also with no luck.

So does anyone know the right way to size it when the service conductors don't actually pass through the meter base?

Thanks.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
If the service conductors don't go to the meter, how does it measure usage?

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
That can't be right, can it?

I have 5 sets of 400kcmil feeding this 1600 amp service.

2000 kcmil total per phase times 12.5%=250 mcm bonding jumper! To a meterbase? That seems extreme....

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
On first read, I thought 250.28 also but then on a second look I believe you are asking about bonding/grounding a CT meter base which has only the CT and/or PT terminations.
Locally I have never encountered that problem as POCO has always installed that wiring. It appears they ground with once conductor of the multi-conductor TC cable they use.
I think a safe bet is to rely on 250.122(A) which allows that the EGC not be any bigger than the phase conductors. Ground the base with the same size cables from the CT/PT.

Status
Not open for further replies.