Overhead conductors feeding multiple areas of day camp grounding/bonding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

Hi all,

I was asked to install a couple of circuits at a day camp. Of course, the panel is full of tandems and wiring coming in here and out there and.....
The building was built at the time of President McKinley (for his servants, late 1800's early 1900's) and a camp was established maybe 50 years ago around it.

The facility is a day camp. The power comes to the sight overhead to a shed with a ct cabinet (3 phase 4 wire) and 3 or four old disconnects (the panel I'm going to is fed from a 2 pole breaker).
From this shed, power goes back out over head to several areas and structures of the camp (single messenger wires on wood with glass knobs) and underground to the building with the panel
I need to go to.

My question is in reference to grounding the service.

At the building and panel I need to go to, It appears that they backfed two older panels that were for the house (which they turned into splice boxes) from a 150 amp single phase 3 wire mainlug panel (that they installed a 100 amp breaker to the busses to feed the panel, and this panel is fed from the 100 breaker in the shed). The panel is fed with (I can't really tell) #2 copper clad old cloth insulation for the two hots and a "bare" #4 (?) to the neutral block, coming threw the conduit to the panel. Also through this conduits are several lighting switch legs to interconnect between the building and shed for exterior lighting. The neutral block is bonded to the panel and there's a ground going out to the water meter. There's also about two inches of a cloth insulated white wire (?#2?) in the block which has been cut, which I suspect maybe someone used the neutral as a snake to pull lighting switch legs to the shed (or not).

From the shed to the other structures at the camp, it looks like the overhead feeds (3 and 4 wire no ground) are brought to main breaker panels and a ground is leaving each panel (can't tell where the grounds go).

There's also a kitchen building and other buildings with water .

I'm thinking that they fed the shed and distributed from there for metering, but fed the camp and the buildings as separate structures (bonding and grounding).

Would this be permissible, or should I be talking to the owner about bonding/grounding the service at the shed and running grounds throughout the camp.

I'll have to look into this further, but what if there are several water meters throughout the camp?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thank you.
-rich

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
At the time that was installed it was probably permissible and practice to ground the neutral at each structure and not install equipment grounds.
Is what not until the '08 Code that an equipment ground was required regardless. Some earlier Codes required equipment grounds IF there was a metallic path between the buildings.
Considering the age of your system, there may not have been any EGC requirement at all.

ritelec

Opening Pandoras' can of Worms.....oh my.

Opening Pandoras' can of Worms.....oh my.

Thank-you Mr. augie47 for the response.

Just thinking here, would I be correct in my thinking, if that the service at the shed were to be grounded, that ground would have to go back to the water main and meter (probably at the house location).

If any water supplies to any other buildings were coming from the main water supply and meter that that ground was going to, that should be the reference to bonding/grounding of the service.
Any water to separate structures would not have to be thought about, and a separate ground run to each panel from the shed service.

The question would be, if there are several separate water services and meters, I'm thinking each one would have to be grounded back to the main electrical service (shed)(either star or daisy-chained)....correct?

Thanks again,

-rich

Status
Not open for further replies.