Hardwired sump pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pizza

There has been a few times in the last month where I have cut the ends off cords of equipment and hard wired to eliminate GFI protection for personnel. I did provide a disconnecting means. One example was a sump pump, I simply cut the end of the cord off and hardwired it in a 1900 box and put a single pole switch in. This came about because a contractor did not want another GFI receptacle that someone could plug into and possibly overload the circuit. The power for the sump pump was taken off the garage circuit. The contractor did not want to pay for a separate circuit to be brought to the sump pump.
Another example was heat trace cable in a crawl space. I did the same thing, but I used a equipment rated GFI breaker.
I have never done this before, I have never seen anyone else do it. I always thought that cutting a cord off an appliance or piece of equipment was a no no. The only way I have ever wired for a sump pump was a GFI receptacle on a dedicated circuit.

So basically what I'm doing is hardwiring instead of using cord and plug to eliminate GFI protection for personnel.
Anyone else ever do this? Do you see a problem?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It's almost guaranteed that you've violated the listing of the pump by cutting off the plug and hard-wiring it not to mention the warranty.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
In NC we have an amendment for sump pumps. Why does it need a dedicated circuit- I don't know.

NC Amendment to 210.8 said:
Exception No. 2 to (3): A single outlet receptacle supplied by dedicated branch circuit which is located and identified for specific use
by a sewage lift pump.

iwire

Staff member
Most likely nothing will ever happen, but if it does you will be screwed and you will not be able to put a good spin on it.

A sump pump should run without tripping a GFCI, the fact it is tripping the GFCI is a sign of a problem with the pump not the GFCI.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Just install a single receptacle by the pump with a faceless GFCI protection in the garage or somewhere accessible. It is not a good design to have the
GFCI in the crawl space by the pump, I am assuming it is in the crawl space or basement.

Remember GFCI doesn't protect against overload.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
People always complain about refrigerator on GFCI's. It can be an issue after lightning storms etc but I have a 26 year old refrigerator in my basement that has been working on gfci for years. BTW you can buy a fairly cheap alarm that senses the temp drop-- Some new refrig. have them built in.

Pizza

Just install a single receptacle by the pump with a faceless GFCI protection in the garage or somewhere accessible. It is not a good design to have the
GFCI in the crawl space by the pump, I am assuming it is in the crawl space or basement.

The sump pump is installed at the front end of a garage, far from the panel. The dead front GFI is a good thought, I thought of that after the fact. I did get the okay from the boss on this install, it just seemed unusual.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

I think that his concern is having the sump pump with GFCI protection where tripping of the device could prove to be very costly. The removal of the exception of GFCI protection was for increased safety of a user who would unplug the sump pump and use portable tools in the unprotected receptacle. The protection in itself was not for the pump. Here in NJ we're still permitted to use a single receptacle without GFCI protection for sump pump. As a matter of personal preference I would never put a sump pump on a GFCI protected outlet in my own home.

Status
Not open for further replies.