Repairing Damaged, Buried RMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
Got 3/4 RMC buried between two light poles. The conduit was apparently damaged a while ago. Not sure how. I need to repair the pipe before pulling new circuit. After digging and exposing the pipe what is the best way to splice a new section of pipe? Thanks.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
Well I guess my concern is seating the pipe squarely inside the coupling. I know it's basic mechanics of piping but I thought there might be a special application fitting for this situation.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Thanks Jumper. Some good links to workable solutions in that thread. I had been tempted to splice in a piece of LFMC in despite all the eyebrow raising it would do...

Why would anyone care? It is underground and well protected, and the code specifically allows it, although you might have to bury it deeper.

OTOH, I am not sure it would be any easier than the repair coupling suggested. You might be able to unthread the damaged section and thread in another length of pipe too, but being underground all this time it is probably rusted pretty well together at the threads.

It seems like a short run. maybe just replacing it is the simplest answer. You can probably do that in a day or less.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.