Reducing Bushings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pizza

Does anyone see a problem with using metal reducing bushings on a PVC box that outside? I used the wrong size hole saw for my PVC connector, I cut a 1 1/4" when I should of cut a 1"

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Does anyone see a problem with using metal reducing bushings on a PVC box that outside? I used the wrong size hole saw for my PVC connector, I cut a 1 1/4" when I should of cut a 1"

No. I don't see a problem with them. Probably wouldn't keep water out even if they were plastic/pvc. If you think water would be a problem you could could use some silicone along with them.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Are you talking about reducing bushings or washers?

In any case, I'd be tempted to install an 1.25" MA with an 1.25" to 1" pvc reducer into it rather than use metal washers.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
How would you bond the metal reducing washers? 250.4(A)(3)

kwired

Electron manager
How would you bond the metal reducing washers? 250.4(A)(3)

Since he said this was a reducing bushing I suppose he could ground it with a bonding bushing inside the box. If it were metal reducing washers I don't think it is all that clear that these do or do not require to be bonded, if so I think it would be required by 250.4(A) (4) instead of (3), "likely to become energized" are the magic words and this can easily be debatable to whether it is likely or not. Can a person use a metal locknut on the male adapter if it is not bonded? Usually no one questions that.

I would still be more likely to use a larger male adapter and a PVC reducer if possible, it takes away all the questions.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Since he said this was a reducing bushing I suppose he could ground it with a bonding bushing inside the box. If it were metal reducing washers I don't think it is all that clear that these do or do not require to be bonded, if so I think it would be required by 250.4(A) (4) instead of (3), "likely to become energized" are the magic words and this can easily be debatable to whether it is likely or not. Can a person use a metal locknut on the male adapter if it is not bonded? Usually no one questions that.

I would still be more likely to use a larger male adapter and a PVC reducer if possible, it takes away all the questions.
In my opinion (A)(3) applies a the bushing or washers become part of the enclosure and or enclose the conductors.
As far as the metal locknut I see that as the same violation and have posted that opinion on this forum in the past.

kwired

Electron manager
In my opinion (A)(3) applies a the bushing or washers become part of the enclosure and or enclose the conductors.
As far as the metal locknut I see that as the same violation and have posted that opinion on this forum in the past.

I pretty much agree with your opinion on the bushing or the washers. Can also see the washers especially as debatable, but would still be mostly in favor of what your opinion is.

I think I have seen your opinion on the locknuts before. Am not certain what I think on this one. Strict reading of requirements, you are probably right. Reality says anything but a metal locknut will not last very long and you can have a more serious problem then an unbonded locknut that has limited risk of being energized.

Pizza

I pretty much agree with your opinion on the bushing or the washers. Can also see the washers especially as debatable, but would still be mostly in favor of what your opinion is.

I think I have seen your opinion on the locknuts before. Am not certain what I think on this one. Strict reading of requirements, you are probably right. Reality says anything but a metal locknut will not last very long and you can have a more serious problem then an unbonded locknut that has limited risk of being energized.

I'm sorry I meant reducing washers. I not so worried about bonding them. I think they are unlikely to become energized. I am more concerned about the inspector saying its not weather tight.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

There is no need to use a locknut with a PVC conduit system....you can use a box adapter. If we are in an environment where the locknut won't last very long, how long would the metal reducing washers last?
As others have stated the best solution would be the use of PVC parts.

Volta

I agree, though feel that there is at least a level of separation between the washers and the conductors so they don't directly enclose them.
The locknut has no such barrier.

Anyhow, the last time I checked the White Book the pvc MA fittings weren't listed for this use.

kwired

Electron manager
There is no need to use a locknut with a PVC conduit system....you can use a box adapter. If we are in an environment where the locknut won't last very long, how long would the metal reducing washers last?
As others have stated the best solution would be the use of PVC parts.

My experience has not been locknuts corroding away, my experience has been non metallic locknuts that let go or break. Granted when this happens there is usually some physical abuse that has happened to cause this to happen. The metal locknut just makes some weaker point be the point that fails.

You have not done any wiring in hog barns have you? Nothing is safe from abuse in there. Even when you keep things out of reach of the hogs, something still manages to happen to it. Anything within reach of pigs must be rigid or IMC. Even those two types of raceways will be damaged eventually, forget corrosion it will be mechanically destroyed before it corrodes enough to matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.